About This Chapter
Interpersonal Communication in Love & Relationships - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Interpersonal communication is a vital component of all types of relationships. This chapter's short video lessons provide a closer look at interpersonal communication in both romantic and workplace relationships. We explore the characteristics of love relationships as well as how culture or gender can play a role in how individuals communicate in such relationships. We also analyze how communication is impacted by whether a workplace relationship is romantic or platonic.
You can take the short multiple-choice quizzes at the end of each lesson to assess your grasp of the discussed topics. Also, you are free to ask an instructor if you have any questions. This chapter can help you understand the following:
- How love relationships develop
- The topic of jealousy as it pertains to communication in love relationships
- Communication in both platonic and romantic workplace relationships
- How love styles relate to interpersonal communication
- Ways to handle relationship violence
|Love Relationships: Their Characteristics & How They Develop||Discover the characteristics of love relationships and how they develop.|
|Love Styles & Interpersonal Communication||Identify the various love types including eros and storge and how they relate to interpersonal communication.|
|Interpersonal Communication in Love Relationships: Topics & Influences||Read about jealousy and how culture, gender and technology can impact love and communication.|
|Mentoring & Networking Relationships & Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace||Analyze how interpersonal communication occurs in mentoring and networking relationships.|
|Romantic Relationships in the Workplace & Interpersonal Communication||Study interpersonal communication in romantic workplace relationships.|
|Understanding Relationship Violence: Definition, Effects & Strategies||Learn about the effects of relationship violence along with alternatives and strategies for handling it.|
1. Love Relationships: Their Characteristics & How They Develop
Here we look at the development of love. What does it mean to be in a loving relationship? What are the steps that occur in every individual in entering one?
2. Love Styles & Interpersonal Communication
Our communication is often defined by our relationships. In this lesson, explore how the different styles of love can impact communication, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. Interpersonal Communication in Love Relationships: Topics & Influences
Communication is important throughout life, but nowhere is this more true than in a romantic relationship. In this lesson, we will look at the unique communication needs and expectations that come along with being in love.
4. Social Exchange Theory in Relationships: Definition, Examples & Predictions
In this lesson, we define and discuss social exchange theory and what it predicts about romantic relationships. We also define and discuss the theory's three components: cost-benefit analysis, comparison level, and comparison level of alternatives.
5. The Equity Theory of Love: Definition, Examples & Predictions
Sometimes, love isn't enough to sustain a relationship. In this lesson, we discuss the importance of equality in a relationship by defining equity theory. We go through the theory's proposals and how it predicts when we are most likely to stay in certain relationships.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 102: Interpersonal Communication course
- Overview of Interpersonal Communication
- The Impact of Culture on Interpersonal Communication
- Perception & Self-Awareness in Interpersonal Communication
- The Importance of Effective Listening
- Understanding Verbal & Nonverbal Communication
- Overview & Principles of Conversation Management
- Relationship Theory in Interpersonal Communication
- Communication in Relationships
- The Process of Conflict Management
- The Role of Power in Interpersonal Relationships
- Emotions & Emotional Expression
- Communication Between Family & Friends
- Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace
- Computer-Mediated Communication
- Studying for Communications 102