About This Chapter
Interpersonal Relationships & Communication - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers the comprehensive overview you need to gain a quality understanding of interpersonal relationships, conflict in relationships and barriers to effective communication. Engaging lessons in this chapter also take a close look at the basics of decision making and problem solving. Once you've finished this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Explain the impact of social and cognitive development on interpersonal relationships
- List the characteristics and development of successful relationships
- Outline techniques for improving communication skills
- Share factors that impact family conflict and decision making
- Discuss factors that affect how couples make life decisions
- Differentiate between group and individual decision making
- Describe ways to teach conflict resolution to adults
- Detail the impact of life events and family crisis
Prepare for your upcoming test your way by taking advantage of the flexibility this chapter offers. Select any lessons to study based on your existing knowledge, and visit as often as needed to build your comprehension. Our multiple-choice quizzes and practice exam can quickly test your understanding of key lesson concepts. By visiting the Dashboard, you can check your progress through this chapter and submit any questions you have about specific lesson topics to our experts.
1. Interpersonal Relationships: Definition & Theories
To be human is to be involved in interpersonal relationships. In this lesson, we will define interpersonal relationships and discuss the various theories that explain how we create and maintain them.
2. Social & Cognitive Development: Impact on Interpersonal Relationships
How does association with a group of people impact behavior and learning? Are friendships relevant to understanding the behavior of students in a classroom? This lesson discusses social development by exploring interpersonal relationship functions and types.
3. Successful Relationships: Characteristics, Development & Maintenance
Be it work, friends, or family, making a relationship work is hard. Creating a solid relationship isn't much easier. This lesson will point out the characteristics of solid relationships and some advice for developing and maintaining them.
4. Improving Communication Skills: Self-Disclosure, Listening & Non-Verbal Communication
Self-disclosure, listening, and nonverbal communication are three important conversation strategies people use. This lesson will discuss what they are, how they may be interpreted, and some tips for improving them.
5. Barriers to Effective Communication: Definition & Examples
Companies need to be aware of potential barriers to communication. In general, physical separation and differences in status differences, gender, culture and language can potentially either block or distort effective communication.
6. Factors Impacting Family Conflict & Decision Making
Conflict is a normal part of most families' lives together, and it can play a role in how and when different kinds of decisions get made. This lesson discusses what conflict and decision making have to do with each other in the context of family life.
7. Decision Making: Definition & Types
How do you make decisions? When we talk about deciding between choices we can break the processes into types. This lesson will fill you in on the different ways to make decisions and give you a few examples of each.
8. Decision Making: Skills & Techniques
We make decisions all the time, but how do we make them? How useful are our decision-making techniques? In this lesson, you'll learn about the skills used in decision making, the six steps involved, and finally, four different techniques you can use when faced with a decision.
9. Problem Solving Methods: Definition & Types
There's more than one way to solve a problem. In this lesson, we'll review the five most common methods: trial and error, difference reduction, means-ends analysis, working backwards, and analogies.
10. Factors Affecting How Couples Make Life Decisions
Couples need to answer a lot of hard questions before making major life decisions. This lesson will look into some of these factors, specifically regarding decisions like buying a home together and having kids.
11. Group vs. Individual Decision Making: When to Use Each
At times an individual makes a decision, and at other times a group makes the decision. In this lesson, we will look at the issues surrounding group versus individual decisions
12. Conflict in Relationships: Types & Resolution Strategies
Dealing with conflict in relationships is inevitable. This lesson will review the types and causes of conflicts that frequently occur in relationships, and compare effective versus non-effective conflict resolution strategies.
13. Teaching Conflict Resolution to Adults
Conflict threatens both productivity and happiness in the workplace. In this lesson, we will examine some aspects of teaching conflict resolution to adults.
14. Effects of Life Events & Family Crisis
This lesson looks at how life events and stressors can cause a family crisis. The lesson identifies different types of stress, explores the differences between families who go into crisis and those who don't, and discusses means of overcoming family stress.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OAE Family & Consumer Sciences (022): Study Guide & Practice course
- Human Development & Genetics
- Dimensions of Development Across Childhood
- Dimensions of Development Across Adulthood
- Families & Well-Being
- Planning for Pregnancy, Childbirth & Parenting
- Parenting, Children's Health & Safety
- Personal Budgets, Banking & Insurance
- Financial Resource Management
- Consumer Credit
- Economics & Consumerism
- Consumer Skills
- Housing, Interiors & Furniture
- Textiles & Apparel
- Nutrient Sources & Functions
- Basics of Nutrition & Food Science
- Food Safety & Sanitation
- Food Preparation & Menu Planning
- Family & Consumer Science Careers
- Employment & Employability Skills