About This Chapter
Interpreting Numbers, Data & Expressions - Chapter Summary
If you need to dust off the cobwebs in your memory about interpreting numbers, data, and expressions, then open up the lessons in this chapter. Our instructors go over definitions first to jog your memory, then they discuss examples that highlight these concepts. Within this chapter, you will find lessons that review the following:
- Reading graphs, charts, and tables
- Deriving meaning from graphical representations of data
- Defining a mathematics equation
- Steps for setting up and solving math problems
- Proving that relationships are algebraic expressions
- Identifying the mathematical order of operations
- Examining algebraic expressions
As you look through our study materials, you may have noticed that the timestamp on each of our lessons seems a little short, but you should know that we have designed shorter lessons on purpose. Longer lessons don't always help people learn, and in fact they often lead to burnout. With our shorter lessons, there's only enough time to focus on one topic. By giving you the most pertinent information about a single topic, we know you are more likely to retain the details and be able to recall them during testing conditions.
With so many lessons to choose from, you may feel lost. Luckily, our lessons are well-labeled, so you can find exactly what you want to study without any frustration. Since our lessons are short, you can fit several throughout your day. After all, the more lessons you complete, the more excited you will become about studying. If you are excited about studying, then that makes you more motivated to do well on your assessment.
1. Interpreting Charts, Graphs & Tables
Important information in the business and scientific world is often presented in various visual aids. In this lesson, we will discuss how to read and interpret charts, graphs, and tables.
2. Interpreting Graphical Representations
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to quickly and easily read and interpret any line and bar graph. You will be able to gather important information by just looking at one of these graphs.
3. What is an Equation in Math? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll get a refresher on number sentences. You will then learn what equations are and how they can be useful in finding out missing information.
4. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
5. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
6. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
7. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 (060): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Test
- Understanding Emergent Literacy
- The Reading Process & Comprehension Strategies
- Representations of Information in the Classroom
- Literary Analysis & Genres
- Understanding & Teaching the Writing Process
- Literacy Instruction & Assessment
- Classroom Organization & Grouping
- Communication & Media Literacy
- Social Science Instruction & Comprehension
- Cultural Contributions & Technological Developments in History
- World Civilizations & Historical Timelines
- Age of Exploration, Settlement & Growth
- Florida & U.S. History
- History's Impact on World Institutions
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- Regional Divides & Connections
- Fundamental Government & Civics Concepts
- Fundamental Economics Concepts
- Strategies for Science Instruction
- Tools & Resources for Science Instruction
- Understanding the Nature of Science
- Scientific Data Interpretation & Analysis
- Interdisciplinary Nature of Science
- Basics of Physical Science
- Basics of Earth Science
- Basics of Space Science
- Cells & Organ Systems
- Life Science Classification & Life Cycles
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Basics of Plant Biology
- Mathematics Instructional Practices
- Properties of Equality & Operations
- Solving Arithmetic & Word Problems
- Number Theory Concepts
- Fractions, Ratios & Integers
- Measurement, Data & Statistics
- Geometric Concepts
- Studying for FTCE Elementary Education
- FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Flashcards