About This Chapter
Interpreting Statistical & Probability Data - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find information on interpreting statistical and probability data. The lessons highlight sampling distributions, confidence intervals, regression analysis and other related topics. Once you finish this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Provide examples of the different types of random variables
- Graph probability distributions associated with random variables
- Explain the models used in sampling distribution
- Detail the formula used for sample proportion in statistics
- Calculate confidence intervals, coefficients and levels
- Define regression analysis and provide examples
- Outline the steps in hypothesis testing
Our self-paced format allows you to take your time and give extra attention to any areas that need more work. To ensure flexibility as you study, you'll find these resources accessible on any mobile device or computer 24 hours a day. Each lesson is accompanied by a multiple-choice quiz to help you gauge your progress as you go.
1. Random Variables: Definition, Types & Examples
This lesson defines the term random variables in the context of probability. You'll learn about certain properties of random variables and the different types of random variables.
2. Graphing Probability Distributions Associated with Random Variables
What's a random variable? Does it have anything to do with gambling? What's the difference between a continuous and a discrete variable? This lesson explains the difference and how to graph each one.
3. Sampling Distribution: Definition, Models & Example
Researchers frequently use sample data to draw conclusions about a population using sampling distributions. In this lesson, you will learn about the definition of a sampling distribution and review an example with an illustration.
4. Sample Proportion in Statistics: Definition & Formula
This lesson talks about the definition, formula, and use of the sample proportion. We also see a brief intro into the concept of margin of error and selection of sample size. After completing the lesson, take a short quiz to see what you have learned.
5. Calculating Confidence Intervals, Levels & Coefficients
In this lesson, you're going to learn about confidence intervals, confidence levels, and coefficients, and how they relate to point estimates and interval estimates.
6. Regression Analysis: Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn about regression analysis and how you can use it to help you analyze and better understand data that you receive from surveys or observations. Learn what is involved in regression analysis and what to look out for.
7. What is Hypothesis Testing? - Definition, Steps & Examples
A proper hypothesis test consists of four steps. After watching this video lesson, you'll understand how to create a hypothesis test to help you confirm or disprove an assumption.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) (197-200, 305): Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Literacy
- Language Features & Acquisition
- Selecting Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Developing Emergent Literacy Skills
- Literacy Assessment & Differentiation
- Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Decoding & Fluency Teaching Strategies
- Language & Reading Comprehension
- Vocabulary Acquisition & Use
- Reading Comprehension Instructional Strategies
- Analyzing Literary & Informational Texts
- Instructional Strategies for Literary & Text Analysis
- English Grammar Writing Conventions
- Writing Instruction & Feedback
- Instructional Strategies for Different Types of Writing
- Strategies for Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Teaching Counting, Cardinality, Numbers & Operations
- Fraction Operations
- Teaching Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Overview of Concepts in Algebra
- Principles of Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Properties & Operations of Functions
- Geometry Concepts
- Data Distribution & Graphs
- Permutation & Combination
- Mathematical Development & Curriculum
- Measurement & Data
- Scientific Models & Relationships
- Scientific Inquiry & Lab Safety
- Evaluating Scientific Information
- Fundamental Concepts of Physical Science
- Fundamentals of Life Science
- Fundamentals of Earth & Space Science
- Overview of Government & Citizenship
- Overview of Economics & Political Principles for Illinois Educators
- Overview of History & Cultural Development for Illinois Educators
- Fundamentals of Human Geography for Illinois Educators
- Overview of the Arts for Educators
- Overview of Physical Education
- Human Body Systems & Fitness
- Personal, Family & Community Health Overview for Educators
- Illinois Learning Standards
- ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) Flashcards