About This Chapter
Interpreting Visual Displays of Data - Chapter Summary
Our helpful chapter covers the ways to interpret different visual displays of data in a mobile-friendly and easy-to-use format. Expand your understanding of pie charts and bar graphs as well as the process of creating and interpreting other plots of data. Because these lessons are self-paced, you can work at your own speed and use the video tabs feature to go back to a specific section of any video quickly. Use the short multiple-choice quizzes to help keep yourself on track. This chapter is designed to ensure you're able to complete the following objectives:
- Understand pie charts and bar graphs
- Read and interpret stem-and-leaf plots
- Outline the process used to create box plots
- Give examples of scatterplots
- Explain how dot plots are created and interpreted
- Define a histogram in math with examples
- Detail center, spread and shape
1. Understanding Bar Graphs and Pie Charts
In this lesson, we will examine two of the most widely used types of graphs: bar graphs and pie charts. These two graphs can provide the reader with a comparison of the different data that is displayed.
2. Reading & Interpreting Stem-and-Leaf Plots
Stem-and-leaf plots? No, we are not going to study plants. In this lesson, you will learn what a stem-and-leaf plot is, how to read one, and how to interpret it. You will become a pro in no time!
3. Creating & Interpreting Box Plots: Process & Examples
Box plots are an essential tool in statistical analysis. This lesson will help you create a box plot and understand its meaning. When you are finished, test your understanding with a short quiz!
4. Creating & Interpreting Scatterplots: Process & Examples
Scatterplots are a great visual representation of two sets of data. In this lesson, you will learn how to interpret bivariate data to create scatterplots and understand the relationship between the two variables.
5. Creating & Interpreting Dot Plots: Process & Examples
Dot plots are a visual way to display the frequency distribution in a data set. In this lesson, you will learn how to construct a dot plot and understand its uses.
6. What is a Histogram in Math? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to see how useful a histogram can be when you need to show a bunch of data in an easy to read format. Also, learn how you can easily gather the information you need from looking at a histogram.
7. What are Center, Shape, and Spread?
Center, shape, and spread are all words that describe what a particular graph looks like. Watch this video lesson to see how you can identify and explain each.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Study Guide course
- Computation with Integers
- Negative Numbers
- Absolute Value
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Proportions, Ratios & Averages
- Simplifying Algebraic Fractions
- Rational Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Overview of Inequalities
- Systems of Equations & Inequalities
- Algebraic Word Problems
- Fundamental Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Distribution
- Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- Writing & Solving Multi-Step Equations
- Probability, Chance & Fundamental Counting Techniques
- Basic Geometry Calculations
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Coordinate & Transformational Geometry
- Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Flashcards