About This Chapter
Intro to Algebraic Equations - Chapter Summary
This introduction to algebraic equations can improve your comprehension of ways to write equations with inequalities and solve equations containing parentheses. We also closely examine how to solve equations with multiple steps, no solutions, infinite solutions and more! After completing this chapter, you will be able to:
- Evaluate math formulas
- Define, translate and solve one-step equations
- Differentiate between common algebraic equations
- Solve equations using the addition and multiplication principles
- Collect like terms on one side of an equation
- Translate words to algebraic expressions
- Solve one-step and multi-step algebra equations in word problems
To ensure you're able to review the lessons in a format that suits your study needs, we offer our lessons as short videos that average eight minutes each and full transcripts you can print or read online. Select one or both lesson formats to tailor your study process, and find out how well you grasp concepts covered by taking the accompanying quizzes. We offer a practice test you can take any time to assess your understanding of the lessons. Any questions that arise about specific topics can be submitted to our experts via the Dashboard.
1. Understanding and Evaluating Math Formulas
With all the formulas out there, how do you know which one to pick? And how do you read formulas anyways? Watch this video lesson and you will find the answers to these questions.
2. Writing Equations with Inequalities: Open Sentences and True/False Statements
After watching this video lesson you will be able to write open sentences and true or false statements that use inequalities. You will also be able to solve and/or determine whether a particular inequality is true or false.
3. Common Algebraic Equations: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, and More
Watch this video lesson to see the kinds of equations that you will come across most often in algebra. Learn to distinguish them by just looking for the identifying components of each equation.
4. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
5. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
6. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
7. Solving Equations Using Both Addition and Multiplication Principles
Most times in algebra, to solve for your variable, you will need to perform more than one operation to get your answer. Watch this video lesson to learn the proper steps to take to solve these equations.
8. Collecting Like Terms On One Side of an Equation
When you are using algebra to solve your problems, one of your biggest and most often used methods is that of collecting like terms. Watch this video lesson to see how it is done.
9. Solving Equations Containing Parentheses
When we have parentheses in our equations it changes the way we solve them. Now we have an added step to do to remove those parentheses. Watch this video lesson to learn how it is done.
10. Solving Equations with Infinite Solutions or No Solutions
In algebra, there are two scenarios that give us interesting results. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can distinguish problems that have no answers and problems that have an infinite number of answers.
11. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
12. How to Solve One-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
Word problems may be considered the most evil math invention ever, but never fear! Just watch this video lesson and you will know how to methodically translate these word problems into simple math and then to solve it.
13. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
14. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Mathematics: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Math: Real Numbers
- TASC Math: Complex and Imaginary Numbers Review
- Intro to Algebraic Expressions
- TASC Math: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Square Roots
- TASC Math: Radical Expressions
- TASC Math: Functions
- TASC Math: Graphing and Functions
- Overview of Sequences
- TASC Math: Inequalities
- TASC Math: Algebraic Distribution
- TASC Math: Linear Equations
- TASC Math: Factoring
- TASC Math: Quadratic Equations
- TASC Math: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations
- TASC Math: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- TASC Math: Rational Expressions
- TASC Math: Measurement
- Lines, Angles & Arcs
- Shapes in Geometry
- Volume & Surface Area
- TASC Math: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- TASC Math: Data, Statistics, and Probability
- Making Inferences & Justifying Conclusions in Math
- TASC Mathematics Flashcards