About This Chapter
Intro to Approaches to Psychology - Chapter Summary
Throughout the history of psychology, there have been multiple approaches to the study. In this chapter, you'll learn from expert instructors who break down psychology's major approaches, including the biological, humanistic and psychodynamic approaches. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Summarize the biological approach in psychology
- Explain the history behind psychology's humanistic approach
- Define the psychodynamic approach in psychology
At the end of each lesson, you'll be invited to take a short quiz that goes over important psychological terms and concepts. The chapter also includes a comprehensive multiple-choice exam as well as printable transcripts of each video lesson. You can use any computer or mobile device to access these resources, and they're available to study at any time that fits your schedule.
1. Biological Approach in Psychology: Definition & Summary
In this lesson, you'll learn what the biological approach to psychology is and how it is used to better understand the human experience. Test your knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
2. Humanistic Approach in Psychology: Definition & History
Humanistic psychology views humans as holistic individuals capable of determining their own behaviors and goals. Read on to find out about the development of this perspective and about the work of key humanist psychologists.
3. Psychodynamic Approach in Psychology: Definition & Explanation
Do dreams reveal our hidden subconscious thoughts and motivations? Could something traumatic in your childhood be the reason behind bad habits, fears or phobias? The psychodynamic approach in psychology may be the answer to those questions and more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CLEP Introductory Psychology Exam: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- History & Fundamental Theories of Psychology
- Biological Bases of Behavior for Psychology
- Psychology, Physiology & Genetics
- Importance of Sensation and Perception
- States of Consciousness in Psychology
- Introduction to Learning in Psychology
- Cognition Theories & Processes
- Motivation & Emotion Theories in Psychology
- Developmental Psychology Theories & Stages
- Overview of Personality in Psychology
- Social Psychology Concepts & Theories
- Types of Psychological Disorders
- Types of Psychological Treatments
- Ethics & Research in Psychology
- Statistics & Research for Psychology
- CLEP Introductory Psychology Flashcards
- CLEP Introductory Psychology Exam Flashcards