About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering musical theater and popular music material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn musical theater and popular music material. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the Broadway works of Rogers and Hart, or the songs and music of Cole Porter
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning music (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about musical theater and popular music
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra music learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the musical theater and popular music chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the musical theater and popular music chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any musical theater and popular music question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a musical theater and popular music unit of a standard introduction to humanities course. Topics covered include:
- The Broadway works of Rogers and Hart
- Songs and accomplishments of Cole Porter
- The musicals, songs and plots of Rodgers and Hammerstein
- Contributions of Leonard Bernstein
- Stephen Sondheim's lyrical contributions to musical theater
1. Broadway: Works of Rodgers and Hart, Bernstein & Porter
This lesson explores the Broadway careers of Rodgers & Hart, Bernstein, and Porter. It highlights famous musicals like 'Anything Goes,' 'Kiss Me Kate,' and 'West Side Story.'
2. Cole Porter: Songs, Music & Accomplishments
This lesson travels through the life, songs, and accomplishments of the famous Cole Porter. It highlights his prolific career, listing works like Gay Divorce, Anything Goes, and Kiss Me Kate.
3. Rodgers and Hammerstein: Musicals, Songs and Plots
The team of Rodgers and Hammerstein was one of the most influential creative forces in the history of Broadway. Explore a few of their musicals and test your understanding of their legacy.
4. Stephen Sondheim: Lyrical Contributions to Musical Theater
Stephen Sondheim wrote some of the most celebrated lyrics in American musical theater. In this lesson, learn about his life and explore his style of writing, then test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Humanities: Help and Review course
- Literary Terms & Techniques: Help and Review
- Literary Time Periods: Help and Review
- Literature of the Middle Ages: Help and Review
- The English Renaissance: Help and Review
- Literature of the Victorian Era: Help and Review
- British Romanticism: Help and Review
- British Literature of the 20th Century: Help and Review
- Literary Modernism: Help and Review
- Romantic Poetry: Help and Review
- World Literature - Drama: Help and Review
- Poetry of the Ancient and Modern Worlds: Help and Review
- Prominent American Novelists: Help and Review
- Philosophy and Nonfiction: Help and Review
- History of Visual Art: Help and Review
- History of Architecture: Help and Review
- Basic Elements of Music: Help and Review
- Overview of Opera and Orchestral Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Medieval Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Renaissance Music: Help and Review
- Intro to the Baroque Period in Music: Help and Review
- Music's Classical Period: Help and Review
- Music's Romantic Period: Help and Review
- Music of the Modern Era: Help and Review
- Overview of Jazz Music: Help and Review
- Intro to World Music: Help and Review
- Introduction to the Performing Arts: Help and Review
- Introduction to Morality
- Moral Belief Systems
- Ancient Greek Views on Ethics
- Theories of Natural & Moral Law
- Consequentialist & Non-Consequentialist Philosophies
- Morality Within Western Religion
- Issues of Morality in Life & Death
- Moral Issues in Economic Equality & Poverty
- Philosophical Theory & the Justice System
- Moral Issues in Peacetime & War
- Human Rights Ethics
- Moral Issues in Relationships & Sexuality
- Biomedical Ethics
- Morality in Business
- Environmental Ethics