About This Chapter
Intro to Systems of Anatomy & Physiology - Chapter Summary
These lessons, developed by our subject matter experts, present an intro to human systems of anatomy and physiology. When you study these lessons, you will get to know how gas exchange functions in the respiratory system of the human body. You will take a look at the functions and parts of the female reproductive system, and examine the human excretory system.
Additional information covered in this chapter includes:
- Parts and functions of the human nervous system
- The workings of the circulatory system of the human body
- Function and parts of the male reproductive system
- Physiology and anatomy of pregnancy in humans
These short lessons can be accessed from your computer or your Internet ready mobile device. You will be able to track your progress on the lessons in this chapter by way of your dashboard. Accompanying lesson quizzes are for your convenience as you complete each lesson so you know how well you comprehend the information you are studying.
1. The Human Nervous System: Parts & Functions
Your nervous system allows you to experience the world around you and react to it. It's a complex system that's split into two main parts, the central nervous system and the peripheral nervous system. Read on to learn the parts and functions of the system.
2. The Human Circulatory System: Parts and Functions
In this lesson, you will take a ride on the transportation system of the body called the circulatory system and its two parts: the pulmonary circuit and the systemic circuit. Take a look inside and see how every inch of your body receives the oxygen and nutrients it needs.
3. Gas Exchange in the Human Respiratory System
Did you know that the average human lung has a respiratory surface area that is roughly the same size as half of a tennis court? Believe it or not, that's how much surface area an active, healthy human needs to ensure that the body gets plenty of oxygen.
4. Excretory System
Each year in the U.S., close to 400,000 people with kidney failure undergo dialysis treatment in order to remove waste, remove excess fluid and restore electrolyte balance. Kidneys, the workhorses of the excretory system, perform these same functions more effectively than any machine. In this lesson, we'll talk about how the excretory system removes toxic substances from the body.
5. The Male Reproductive System: Function & Parts
Did you know that inside every guy is a factory? That's right - a sperm making factory! Learn about all the different parts of this factory in this lesson on the male reproductive system.
6. The Female Reproductive System: Functions & Parts
You know the saying. . . men are from Mars, women are from Venus. We all know that men and women think differently, and we all know that we look different on the outside, but do you know what we look like on the inside?
7. Anatomy & Physiology of Pregnancy
We know a woman's uterus can house a baby, but did you ever wonder what it looks like inside? Or, how the baby gets food? In this lesson, you'll learn about what the fetal environment inside the uterus actually looks like.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Health Science 6-12 (273): Practice & Study Guide course
- Historic Trends & Societal Impact of Healthcare
- Math Applications in Health Care Science
- Applying Academic Skills in Health Science
- Medical Abbreviations, Acronyms & Symbols
- Forming Medical Terms
- Researching & Communicating Medical Terminology
- Basic Anatomy & Physiology of the Human Body
- Basic Stages of Human Development
- Reemerging Health Technologies
- Microorganisms & Human Health
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques
- Overview of Diseases & Pathogens
- Pathogenesis, Disease Prevention & Control
- Healthcare & the Aging Process
- Nutritional Information & Needs
- Issues & Disorders Related to Nutrition
- Therapeutic Concepts of Nutrition
- Pharmacology Concepts
- Mental Health Concepts
- Preventative Health Behaviors
- Skills & Role of a Health Care Worker
- Safety & Precautions for Health Care Workers
- Communication in Health Care
- Teamwork in the Workplace
- Career Planning in the Health Care Field
- Ethical Responsibilities of Health Care Workers
- TExES Health Science 6-12 Flashcards