About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your anxiety disorders homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your anxiety disorders homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Definition of anxiety disorders
- Psychological, sociocultural and biological perspectives
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Panic disorder
- Social and specific phobias
- Obsessive-compulsive disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Acute stress disorder
1. Understanding Anxiety Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
Anxiety disorders are the most common type of mental disorder, affecting as many as one in four people. In this lesson, we will explore anxiety disorders including common causes, symptoms, and treatments.
2. Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment for GAD
People who suffer from generalized anxiety disorder can be totally overwhelmed with fear and worry. In this lesson, we will explore GAD and learn about the possible causes and treatments of this mental disorder.
3. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
Panic disorder is a debilitating condition that is characterized by how quickly it strikes. In this lesson we will learn about the symptoms, causes and treatment of panic disorder. We will also learn about agoraphobia, a disease that often accompanies panic disorder.
4. Specific and Social Phobias: Definition, Causes and Treatment
What are the similarities and differences between specific and social phobias? This lesson will explore this question, as well as the causes of, and treatments for, both types of phobias.
5. What is OCD? - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder, better known as OCD, is a common but often misunderstood disorder. In this lesson we'll explore the obsessions and compulsions of OCD as well as causes and treatment.
6. Trauma-Related Disorders: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder & Acute Stress Disorder
A lot happens in the brain following a traumatic, life threatening event. Sometimes the brain has difficulty managing the stress and can be caught in a loop known as post-traumatic stress disorder, which will be discussed in this lesson along with acute stress disorder.
7. Arachnophobia: Definition, Treatment & Symptoms
Arachnophobia, the irrational fear of spiders, is one of the most common types of phobias. Learn more about the symptoms, causes and treatment of arachnophobia.
8. Triskaidekaphobia: Definition & Overview
Triskaidekaphobia is the irrational and excessive fear of the number 13. Learn about the history of triskaidekaphobia and its symptoms, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
9. What Is Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)? - Symptoms, Treatment & Definition
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is an Axis I disorder classified under Anxiety Disorders in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. The primary features of OCD are unreasonable and unwanted obsessions and compulsions.
10. What Is Phobia? - Definition & Overview
What does it mean to have a phobia? Is it possible to be afraid of abstract things like opinions or phobias themselves, or is it all a bunch of pseudopsychology? Read on to learn about the qualifications of phobias.
11. What is Separation Anxiety? - Definition & Concept
Separation anxiety can cause crying and clingy behavior in normally developing babies. This is not to be confused with separation anxiety disorder, which is a mental disorder. Find out more about healthy separation anxiety in this lesson.
12. What is an Anxiety Attack? - Signs, Symptoms & Treatment
Did you know that an anxiety attack is not the same thing as a panic attack? In this lesson we will define the term anxiety attack, explain its symptoms, discuss treatment, and explore the differences between an anxiety attack and a panic attack.
13. How to Deal with Social Anxiety
In this lesson, learn the basics of social anxiety and how it can negatively impact your life. Afterwards, identify ways in which you can deal with social anxiety, through the use of coping skills, strategies, and other activities.
14. Relaxation Techniques for Anxiety
In this lesson, we'll be looking for ways to soothe anxiety through relaxation. By the end of the lesson you'll have a better idea of the physiological symptoms of anxiety and how to dissipate them through the practice of relaxation.
15. What are Somatic Symptoms of Anxiety?
Somatic symptoms are the physical symptoms related to an illness. When the somatic symptoms of anxiety interfere with the activities of someone's life, that individual is considered to have an illness called generalized anxiety disorder. This lesson will describe the somatic symptoms associated with anxiety, as well as ways to treat those symptoms.
16. Aerophagia: Definition, Symptoms & Causes
Aerophagia is a condition that involves swallowing too much air into the stomach. In this lesson, you'll learn about the exact definition of aerophagia, the symptoms, and possible causes.
17. Aerophagia: Treatment & Cure
Aerophagia refers to the excessive intake of air into the digestive system. In this lesson, you'll learn about the symptoms associated with aerophagia and how to effectively treat it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help Resource course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Homework Help
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- Homework Help for the Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Homework Help
- Clinical Assessment: Homework Help
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Stress Disorders: Homework Help
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Homework Help
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders: Homework Help
- Psychotic Disorders: Homework Help
- Substance Use Disorders: Homework Help
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Life-Span Development Disorders: Homework Help
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Factitious Disorders: Homework Help
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help