About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Introduction to Anxiety Disorders chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Anxiety disorders overview||Anxiety, anxiety symptoms, triggers, fear circuit, generalized anxiety disorder and GABA|
|Tuesday||Panic disorder||Panic attacks, depersonalization, fear-of-fear hypothesis and agoraphobia|
|Wednesday||Phobias||Specific and social phobias, cognitive behavioral therapy and exposure treatment|
|Thursday||Obsessive-compulsive disorder||Obsessions, compulsion, thought suppression and repetition|
|Friday||Trauma disorders||Post-traumatic stress disorder, dissociation and hypervigilance|
1. Understanding Anxiety Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
Anxiety disorders are the most common type of mental disorder, affecting as many as one in four people. In this lesson, we will explore anxiety disorders including common causes, symptoms, and treatments.
2. Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment for GAD
People who suffer from generalized anxiety disorder can be totally overwhelmed with fear and worry. In this lesson, we will explore GAD and learn about the possible causes and treatments of this mental disorder.
3. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
Panic disorder is a debilitating condition that is characterized by how quickly it strikes. In this lesson we will learn about the symptoms, causes and treatment of panic disorder. We will also learn about agoraphobia, a disease that often accompanies panic disorder.
4. Specific and Social Phobias: Definition, Causes and Treatment
What are the similarities and differences between specific and social phobias? This lesson will explore this question, as well as the causes of, and treatments for, both types of phobias.
5. What is OCD? - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder, better known as OCD, is a common but often misunderstood disorder. In this lesson we'll explore the obsessions and compulsions of OCD as well as causes and treatment.
6. Trauma-Related Disorders: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder & Acute Stress Disorder
A lot happens in the brain following a traumatic, life threatening event. Sometimes the brain has difficulty managing the stress and can be caught in a loop known as post-traumatic stress disorder, which will be discussed in this lesson along with acute stress disorder.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Research Methods Lesson Plans
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- The Biological Model of Abnormality Lesson Plans
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Diathesis-Stress Model Lesson Plans
- Clinical Assessment in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Stress Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Lesson Plans
- Substance Use Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Psychotic Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Life-Span Development Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Factitious Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans