About This Chapter
Introduction to Anxiety Disorders - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Whether you're worried about your job, your family, or passing that big exam, most of us have experienced anxiety at some point in our lives. But for some, anxiety can rise to the level of a psychological disorder. This chapter defines the category of anxiety disorders and explores specific disorders, such as panic, OCD, and PTSD. Instructors also discusse current and historical views on the causes of anxiety disorders, including psychological, biological, and sociocultural perspectives, and explain how different disorders are treated. Upon completion of the chapter, students should be able to:
- Define a range of anxiety disorders, including generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), panic disorder, agoraphobia, specific and social phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and acute stress disorder
- Discuss the psychological, biological, and sociocultural views on the causes of anxiety disorders
- Explain a variety of treatments for anxiety disorders
- Describe the historical development of abnormal psychology's approach to defining anxiety disorders
|Understanding Anxiety Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health||Define anxiety disorders and discover the current and historical views on it, including biological, psychological, and sociocultural models of etiology.|
|Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment for GAD||Explore the definition, causes, and treatment for GAD.|
|Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment||Learn about the definition, causes, and treatment for panic disorder and agoraphobia.|
|Specific and Social Phobias: Definition, Causes and Treatment||Discover the definition, causes, and treatment for specific and social phobias.|
|What is OCD? - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder||Examine the definition, causes, and treatment for OCD.|
|Trauma-Related Disorders: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder & Acute Stress Disorder||Find out about the definition, causes, and treatment for PTSD and acute stress disorder.|
1. Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment for GAD
People who suffer from generalized anxiety disorder can be totally overwhelmed with fear and worry. In this lesson, we will explore GAD and learn about the possible causes and treatments of this mental disorder.
2. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
Panic disorder is a debilitating condition that is characterized by how quickly it strikes. In this lesson we will learn about the symptoms, causes and treatment of panic disorder. We will also learn about agoraphobia, a disease that often accompanies panic disorder.
3. Specific and Social Phobias: Definition, Causes and Treatment
What are the similarities and differences between specific and social phobias? This lesson will explore this question, as well as the causes of, and treatments for, both types of phobias.
4. What is OCD? - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder, better known as OCD, is a common but often misunderstood disorder. In this lesson we'll explore the obsessions and compulsions of OCD as well as causes and treatment.
5. Trauma-Related Disorders: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder & Acute Stress Disorder
A lot happens in the brain following a traumatic, life threatening event. Sometimes the brain has difficulty managing the stress and can be caught in a loop known as post-traumatic stress disorder, which will be discussed in this lesson along with acute stress disorder.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 106: Abnormal Psychology course
- Intro to Abnormal Psychology
- Clinical Research for Abnormal Psychology
- The Biological Model of Abnormality
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Diathesis-Stress Model
- Clinical Assessment in Abnormal Psychology
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology
- Stress Disorders
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders
- Substance Use Disorders
- Psychotic Disorders
- Cognitive Disorders
- Lifespan Development Disorders
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology
- Factitious Disorders
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology
- Studying for Psychology 106