About This Chapter
Introduction to Business Information Systems - Chapter Summary
Review the fundamentals of business information systems with this convenient online study guide chapter. You'll examine the main components of information systems, as well as types of data, binary number systems, bytes and more. The chapter is accessible on any computer or mobile device, which helps you study whenever you have spare time in your schedule. The chapter also contains lesson-specific quizzes, as well as a comprehensive chapter exam. You can also submit questions to our instructors if you have any. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Know what an information system is
- Recognize different types of data and their sources
- Evaluate the uses and advantages of binary number systems
- Understand what bytes measure
- Identify the characteristics of valuable information in business
- Assess the components of an information system
1. What Is an Information System?
Information systems are an integral part of businesses. But what, exactly, is an information system? In this lesson, we'll define information systems and then examine the three main components of an information system.
2. What are Data? - Types, Sources & Definition
In this lesson, learn what data are and compare different types. Understanding how to represent and organize data is a key element of using a computer.
3. Types of Data: Text, Numbers & Multimedia
Discuss the basic types of data found in databases. These include character strings, integers, decimals, images, audio, video and other multimedia types.
4. Binary Number System: Application & Advantages
All computers use a binary number system, that relies upon just two symbols, typically 0 and 1. In this lesson, you'll learn about the advantages of using the binary number system, as well as some of its practical applications.
5. What is a Byte? - Definition & Measurements
In this lesson, we will find out what a computer byte is. We will also take a quick look at where this word comes from, and how it is used in the computer industry.
6. Valuable Information in Business: Characteristics & Examples
In this lesson we will be looking at the significant role information plays in business. We will examine the characteristics of information that fuel the type of decisions business and individuals made.
7. Input, Processing, Output & Feedback: Information System Components
What are the components that really make an information system work? In this lesson, we'll explore IPOS (input, process, output and storage) and how this system works.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Business Information Systems: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Computer-Based Information System Components
- Information Systems Application & Impact
- Information Systems Hardware
- Information Systems Software Programs
- Information Systems Software Applications
- Data Management in Information Systems
- Networking & Systems Technology
- Internet, Intranet, & Extranet
- Virtualization for Business
- Electronic & Mobile Commerce
- Enterprise Systems for Business
- Decision Making & Specialized Information Systems
- Systems Development Components & Lifecycle
- Personal & Social Impact of Computers
- UExcel Business Information Systems Flashcards