About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other chemistry work.
- Identify the introductory chemistry concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our chemistry tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about introductory chemistry and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the difference between hypothesis and theory, the scientific method or any other introductory chemistry topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their introductory chemistry unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in chemistry
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about introductory chemistry simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live chemistry tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about introductory chemistry on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Provide an overview of the scope of chemistry.
- Become familiar with the steps of the scientific method.
- Understand the differences between hypothesis, theory and law.
1. What is Chemistry? - Definition, History & Branches
Known as the central science, chemistry is integral to our understanding of the natural world around us. In this lesson, you'll be introduced to the field of chemistry, learning about its history and its modern applications.
2. The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
The scientific method is more than just hypotheses and experiments. In this lesson, we'll explore the themes and variations that make up the world of science.
3. Hypothesis, Theory & Law in Science
In this lesson, learn how to define hypothesis, theory, and law in science. Then, discover the ways that these ideas are related to each other and how they help us to explain the universe around us.
4. Chemical Symbol: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn that a chemical symbol is a short-hand way to represent an element and each element on the periodic table has a unique chemical symbol. You'll become familiar with identifying some common elements by their chemical symbol.
5. What is the Difference Between Pure & Applied Chemistry?
Pure and applied chemistry are two branches of the same tree. Though different fields, they also work together quite well. In this lesson, we will look at both pure and applied chemistry to understand how they are different, as well as see examples of each.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Chemistry: Tutoring Solution course
- Measurement and Problem Solving: Tutoring Solution
- Experimental Laboratory Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- What Is Matter? - Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Atomic Structure: Tutoring Solution
- The Periodic Table of Elements: Tutoring Solution
- The Representative Elements of the Periodic Table: Tutoring Solution
- Nuclear Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Bonding: Tutoring Solution
- Phase Changes for Liquids and Solids: Tutoring Solution
- Gases in Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Solutions in Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Stoichiometry and Chemical Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Acids, Bases and Reactions: Tutoring Solution
- Equilibrium: Tutoring Solution
- Chemistry Kinetics: Tutoring Solution
- Thermodynamics in Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Organic Chemistry Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Chemistry of Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA: Tutoring Solution
- Chemistry of DNA Replication: Tutoring Solution