About This Chapter
Introduction to Conditional Probability & Diagrams - Chapter Summary
Strengthen your understanding of conditional probability and diagrams and how they are used in statistics and mathematics by reviewing the lessons in this chapter. You'll be able to study definitions and examples of different diagrams to make sure you have a firm grasp on how they are used. Topics covered in this chapter include:
- Mutual exclusivity
- The history and types of Venn diagrams
- How to calculate possible outcomes
- Factor trees
Your studies are taught by our expert instructors, and the lessons are designed to help you familiarize yourself with the vocabulary words associated with these topics. You'll also have the chance to assess your understanding of conditional probability and diagrams by completing the self-assessment quizzes and chapter test.
1. Conditional Probability: Definition & Uses
When the probability of two events happening is determined, one after the other, it's known as conditional probability. Learn more about the definition, discover the uses of conditional probability, and understand the notation used in calculating it.
2. Mutually Exclusive in Statistics: Definition, Formula & Examples
A coin cannot land on heads and tails at the same time--statistics calls events like these mutually exclusive. Learn to describe a mutually exclusive event, create or find examples, and compare such event with independent and dependent ones.
3. What Are Venn Diagrams in Math? - History, Types & Examples
Venn diagrams are composed of circles that interlap to show associations among sets. Learn about the definition and history of Venn diagrams, discover the types of Venn diagrams, and explore relevant examples and word problems.
4. Venn Diagrams: Subset, Disjoint, Overlap, Intersection & Union
Venn diagrams show the relationships and operations between a collection of elements. Learn about the concepts and operations that can be illustrated in a Venn diagram, such as subsets, disjoints, overlaps, intersections, unions, and complements.
5. Calculating Possible Outcomes: Definition & Formula
The fundamental counting principle is used for calculating possible outcomes. Learn the definition of calculating possible outcomes and the formula for the fundamental counting principle for multiple events and permutations.
6. What is a Factor Tree? - Definition & Example
Factor trees are useful to anyone trying to break down numbers into their prime factors. In this lesson, look at the definitions of factor trees and factors, then explore prime factors, many trees with one prime factorization, and an example of a large factor tree.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the MTTC Professional Readiness Examination (096): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the MTTC Tests
- Basic Number Sense
- Fundamentals of Calculation
- Mathematical Reasoning & Problem-Solving
- Logic in Mathematics
- Expressions, Functions & Operations
- Expressions & Equations in Algebra
- Understanding Algebraic Functions
- Using Algebraic Functions
- Polynomials, Rational Equations & Trigonometric Equations
- Introduction to Basic Geometry
- Measuring Geometric Figures
- Relationships Between Figures in Geometry
- Basics of Trigonometry
- Fundamentals of Statistics
- Bivariate Relationships in Statistics
- Using Tables & Graphs
- Interpreting Statistical Data
- Probability Overview
- Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings in English
- Literary Themes & Main Ideas
- Strategies for Effective Writing
- Reading Strategies & Literary Analysis
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking
- Conventions in Writing: Effective Usage
- Constructing Sentences & Paragraphs
- Argumentative Writing Overview
- Structuring Informational & Explanatory Texts
- MTTC Professional Readiness Flashcards