About This Chapter
Introduction to Corporate Finance - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
This chapter will bring you into the world of company structures and financial markets. You will gain an understanding of the basic concepts in corporate finance and get a glimpse of the world and decision-making process of financial managers. The lessons in this chapter will teach you about:
- Corporate finance basics
- Financial managers and management
- Various business structures
- Limited liability companies
- The goals of financial management
- The agency problem
- Financial market basics
|What Is Corporate Finance? - Definition & Fundamentals||Learn the fundamental concepts behind corporate finance.|
|Financial Management Systems & Role of a Financial Manager||Explore the decision making process of financial management and the role of the financial manager.|
|What Is a Business Organization? - Structure, Types & Examples||Look at different forms of business organizations.|
|What Is a Limited Liability Company? - Definition, Benefits & Examples||Learn about limited liability companies.|
|What Are the Goals of Financial Management?||Discover the problems that come from exclusively chasing maximum profits.|
|The Agency Problem in Finance: Definition & Examples||Find out the issues surrounding agency relationships in financial management.|
|Financial Markets: Types & Characteristics||Explain the different types of financial markets.|
1. What Is Corporate Finance? - Definition & Fundamentals
This lesson will introduce the topic of corporate finance and its effects on a corporation and its shareholders. It will discuss capital funding sources and provide an example of a corporation needing to use capital funding for improvements.
2. Financial Management Systems & Role of a Financial Manager
Financial managers play an integral role in the corporate arena. In this lesson, we will look at the roles of a chief financial officer involving capital investments, financial reporting and financial forecasting.
3. What Is a Business Organization? - Structure, Types & Examples
Want to start a business? One of the first steps is to pick its form. In this lesson, you'll learn about the primary ways businesses are organized with examples provided along the way.
4. What Is a Limited Liability Company? - Definition, Benefits & Examples
A limited liability company is a popular business structure that provides the benefits of both a partnership and a corporation. This lesson explains the benefits of limited liability companies.
5. What Are the Goals of Financial Management?
This lesson introduces the concept of financial management and defines the scope that companies use to manage their finances. It will also discuss the primary goal of financial management and the advantages and disadvantages of this goal.
6. The Agency Problem in Finance: Definition & Examples
The agency problem can be a really big issue in the finance world. Find out what an agency problem is and look at some real-world examples. Then, test yourself on your new knowledge.
7. Financial Markets: Types & Characteristics
Have you ever wanted to start a business? How would you get the money to start your business? Financial markets can be used to generate capital for new and existing organizations. Short-term and long-term assets are traded on the financial market to raise money over short and long periods of time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Finance 101: Principles of Finance course
- Financial Statements, Taxes & Cash Flow
- Financial Statement Basics
- Long-Term Financial Planning & Growth
- Introduction to Valuation Methods
- Discounted Cash Flow Valuation
- Interest Rates & Bond Valuation
- Stock Valuation
- Net Present Value & Investment Basics
- Capital Investment Decisions
- Accounting Risk & Return
- Return, Risk, & the Security Market Line
- Options & Corporate Finance
- Cost of Capital
- Financial Leverage & Capital Structure
- Dividends & Dividend Policy
- Short-Term Financing & Planning
- Cash & Liquidity Management
- Credit & Inventory Management
- International Corporate Finance
- Studying for Finance 101