About This Chapter
Introduction to Cybersecurity - Chapter Summary
This introduction to cybersecurity can help you quickly gain a quality understanding of information security, including its importance, history and threats. Our entertaining lessons also help you discover or learn more about the meaning and principles of cybersecurity. Use the quizzes accompanying the lessons to check your comprehension of cybersecurity basics. Our Dashboard makes it easy to keep track of your progress through this chapter and submit questions to our subject-matter experts. These resources are accessible 24 hours a day via any computer, smartphone or tablet. After completing this chapter, you will be ready to do the following:
- Define and list the principles of cybersecurity
- Share the definition and best practices of information security
- Explain why information security is important
- Outline basic principles of information security
- Provide a detailed history of information security
- Discuss potential threats to information security
1. What is Cybersecurity? - Definition & Principles
Cybersecurity is of foremost concern given the prevalent use of cyberspace for daily activities including socializing and business operations. This lesson defines cybersecurity, explains its basic principles and advises how to keep confidential information secure in cyberspace.
2. What is Information Security? - Definition & Best Practices
In this lesson, you'll learn about the basic principles of information security and the best practices for keeping confidential information in your organization where it belongs.
3. Importance of Information Security
Information security (InfoSec) is the practice of protecting information while still providing access to those who need it. Learn about the three principles that are the foundation of good InfoSec.
4. Information Security: Basic Principles
This lesson discusses the four basic principles of information security and how they safeguard valuable information. Understanding these building blocks is essential to knowing how to protect your digital information.
5. History of Information Security
Information security goes way back - all the way back to the Second World War and even classical times! Here, we'll travel through the history of information security from ancient methods of hiding communications to the famous Enigma machine and modern cryptography.
6. Definition of Threat in Information Security
Information security is a major topic in the news these days. After all, information plays a role in almost everything we do. In this lesson, we'll take a look at what it is, threats, and why they are important.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 110: Introduction to Cybersecurity course
- Basics of Cybercrime
- The Role of People in Cybercrime
- Policies & Procedures for Cybersecurity
- Tools & Techniques for Cybersecurity
- Impact of Cybercrime on Electronic Communication
- Cryptography in Cybersecurity
- Understanding & Preventing Computer Viruses
- Cybercrime & Software Development
- Operating System & Network Security
- Disaster Recovery in Cybersecurity