About This Chapter
Introduction to Delegation - Chapter Summary
Use this corporate chapter to introduce your company's supervisors to essential delegation concepts. These short and simple lessons cover the basics of delegation, as well as effective delegation steps and the advantages of using delegation in the workplace.
The chapter comes with brief assessments to help your supervisors remember key delegation concepts. You can assign the lessons to your employees at any time, and our instructors will be happy to answer any questions they may have.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter can help supervisors become more knowledgeable about the business benefits of delegation.
- Improves delegation skills: Supervisors can use the chapter's methods to encourage delegation in the workplace and become more effective delegators.
- Boosts efficiency and productivity: Our instructors show your supervisors how delegation can improve efficiency and productivity in the workplace.
By the end of the chapter, your supervisors should be able to:
- Explain the purpose of delegation and division of work in management
- Use managerial communication methods
- Incorporate Frederick Taylor's methods of maximizing productivity and efficiency
- Outline the steps of effective delegation
- Describe the advantages of delegation in the workplace
- Encourage delegation in work environments
1. Delegation in Management: Definition & Explanation
Delegation is vital for the accomplishment of many organizational tasks. In this lesson, you will learn what delegation is and some of its key concepts.
2. Division Of Work in Management: Definition & Explanation
What is the best way to get a job done? In this lesson, we will look at Henri Fayol's division of work principle. You will see what the history and purpose of this principle was, and how it affects modern day management.
3. Managerial Communication
This lesson discusses the role of communication for management by detailing the various functions it facilitates. Why do managers need to be able to communicate well? What are the challenges in that process?
4. Frederick Taylor & Management: Maximizing Productivity & Efficiency
Known as the father of scientific management, Frederick Taylor revolutionized management practices. This lesson will discuss the contributions Taylor made to the field of management, most of which are still used today to maximize productivity and efficiency.
5. Steps of Effective Delegation: Examples & Explanation
Delegating tasks to employees is an effective tool for business success. In this lesson, you'll learn more about steps to successful delegation, from preparation to accountability, to ensure project success.
6. The Benefits of Delegation in the Workplace
In this lesson, you'll learn why delegation in the workplace increases productivity. You'll also learn how non-delegating prevents an organization from growing. Examples are also provided to explain some of the concepts of delegation.
7. Strategies to Encourage Delegation in the Workplace
Giving up parts of your work can be scary! In fact, many managers struggle with delegating tasks to employees. In this lesson, you'll learn more about strategies to help you break the delegation barrier.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.