About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering introductory division will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn division basics. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the different number types or methods for performing basic and long division
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about introductory division
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Introduction to Division chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Introduction to Division chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any introductory division question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the introductory division concepts covered in a standard math course. Topics covered include:
- Number types
- Steps for performing basic division
- The uses of long division
- Division by zero
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
3. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
4. Dividing By Zero: Definition & Concept
In mathematics, division by zero is undefined. Learn why according to the arithmetic and algebraic definitions of dividing by zero in this lesson, and then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
5. Quotient Rule: Formula & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the formula for the quotient rule of derivatives. The lesson includes a mnemonic device to help you remember the formula. You will also see two worked-out examples.
6. Quotient: Definition & Meaning
A quotient is the answer to a division problem. This lesson will give a definition of the word and describe how to find a quotient in different ways. There will also be a quiz for you to check your understanding.
7. Remainder in Math: Definition & Example
Division problems often result in remainders. In this lesson, we will define the remainder and use long division of numbers and synthetic division of polynomials to compute remainders.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Division: Help & Review course
- Dividing Fractions: Help & Review
- Dividing Decimals: Help & Review
- Dividing Radicals & Exponential Expressions: Help & Review
- Division with Complex Numbers: Help & Review
- Division of Factorials: Help & Review
- Dividing Functions: Help & Review
- Dividing Polynomials: Help & Review
- Division in Geometry: Help & Review