About This Chapter
Introduction to Electrostatics - Chapter Summary
Use the short lessons in this chapter to enjoy a quality introduction to electrostatics. This chapter enables you to enhance your knowledge of this subject area in a secure online environment. Learn from top instructors about static electricity, Coulomb's Law, electric fields and other related topics. In no time, you will have the knowledge to do the following:
- Define static electricity, and discuss its causes and uses
- Discuss repulsion and attraction as they relate to electric charges and force
- Explain how electrostatic force experiments resulted in Coulomb's Law
- Share the meaning of the superposition principle and the basics of standing waves
- Describe electric fields, and perform calculations related to electric fields
- Provide the definition of Gauss' Law
Navigate this chapter in any sequence you desire by selecting your first then scrolling along the right-hand sidebar to choose others. Revisit lessons any number of times to ensure you fully understand electrostatics. Clarify any information you don't comprehend by submitting questions to our experts. Test your knowledge with help from multiple-choice lesson quizzes and a practice chapter exam.
1. What is Static Electricity? - Definition, Causes & Uses
In this lesson you will learn what static electricity is, what causes it, and what conditions prevent static electricity from occurring. You'll also see some fun and interesting real world situations and applications that involve static electricity.
2. Electric Charge and Force: Definition, Repulsion & Attraction
Have you ever wondered what electricity is and where it comes from? Have you ever been zapped by static electricity and wondered how it got there? We'll answer all of these questions in this lesson on electric charge and force!
3. Coulomb's Law: Variables Affecting the Force Between Two Charged Particles
In the 18th century, Charles Coulomb uncovered the secrets of electrostatic force between charged particles. The results of his experiments led to what is now known as Coulomb's Law, which tells us how force, charge, and distance are all related.
4. The Superposition Principle & Standing Waves
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what the superposition principle is, and how this leads to the formation of standing waves. A short quiz will follow.
5. Electric Field & the Movement of Charge
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what an electric field is, draw electric field lines and vectors for charged particles, and complete calculations involving electric fields. A short quiz will follow.
6. Electric Fields: Definition & Examples
Learn what an electric field is, the types of electric fields, and the concept of electric field strength. Briefly investigate specific examples of the types of electric fields.
7. Gauss' Law: Definition & Examples
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what Gauss' Law is, derive Gauss' Law for a sphere and cylinder, and use it to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the National Eligibility Test (AIPMT): Study Guide course
- Types of Scientific Measurement
- Working with Vectors
- Kinematics Overview
- Laws of Motion Overview
- Understanding Work, Energy and Power
- Systems of Particles and Rigid Body Dynamics
- Orbital Mechanics
- Properties of Bulk Matter
- Perfect Gases and Kinetic Theory
- Oscillations & Waves
- Physics of Electrical Circuits
- Electronic Components
- Magnetic Fields & Forces Overview
- Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Currents
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Optics & Light
- Atoms, Isotopes & Radiation
- Foundations of Chemistry & Organic Chemistry
- Atomic Structure & Properties of Elements
- Molecular Structure & Chemical Bonds
- Properties of Gases and Liquids
- Thermodynamics Overview
- Equilibrium & Reactions
- Properties of Alkali & Alkaline Earth Metals
- Properties of p-Block Elements
- Hydrogen & Hydrocarbons
- Pollution & Environmental Hazards
- Solids & Solutions
- Electrochemistry, Surface Chemistry & Chemical Kinetics
- Properties of Periodic Table Groups
- Compounds & Chemical Reactions
- Biomolecules & Polymers
- Chemicals in Everyday Life
- Diversity & Classifications in Biology
- Biology of the Cell
- Basic Plant Physiology
- Basic Human Physiology
- Functions & Processes in Reproduction
- Genetics & Evolution
- Human Welfare & Diseases
- Applications of Biotechnology
- National Eligibility Test (AIPMT) Flashcards