About This Chapter
Introduction to Health and Wellness - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors explain the definitions and dimensions of health and wellness and the many factors influencing their acquisition. You will be introduced to the major health problems faced by Americans, and the role of demographics on health.This chapter will discuss the role of lifestyle choices on personal health.
You'll learn about sources of health information and how to evaluate their quality. As you progress through this chapter, you can study the construct of internal vs. external locus of control and its role in health and wellness, risk behavior and strategies for behavioral change, and steps in creating a behavioral management plan. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define what is meant by health and wellness
- Identify the major health issues in the United States
- Discuss how demographics impacts health and the role of global influences
- Explain how lifestyle choices impact personal wellness
- Evaluate sources of health information
- Define the construct of internal vs. external locus of control and its relation to wellness
- Explain risk behavior and ways to address it
- Discuss how to create a behavioral management plan to promote behavioral changes
You'll learn all these topics by watching brief, fun video lessons presented by experts in the field. You'll also find self-assessment quizzes and lesson transcripts along with each video. You'll be given key terms linked to the text lessons and video tags to take you directly to specific segments of a video without having to watch the entire thing.
1. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
2. The Role of Demographics on Health: Global Perspective & Influences
This lesson will explain to you the many different factors that influence the likelihood or possibility of developing health related problems. Namely, we'll talk about the environment, the world at large, and things like income, gender, and ethnic background.
3. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
4. Absorption of Micronutrients and Water into the Bloodstream
In this lesson, you will gain a deeper understanding of how and where absorption of micronutrients and water take place in your body. You will also learn how and where it enters your bloodstream.
5. Impact of Personal Care & Hygiene Practices on Health
You've been told to wash your hands and clean your teeth, but do you really know why we bother doing this? In this lesson, you'll learn the importance and impact of hygiene on your health.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education (073): Practice and Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Adult Growth & Development
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Resources for Health Information
- Health Care Systems
- Overview of Health Education Programs
- NYSTCE Health Education Flashcards