About This Chapter
Introduction to Healthcare Finance - Chapter Summary
This introductory healthcare finance chapter outlines basic healthcare finance functions and roles. As you work through these short and simple lessons, you'll become familiar with the structure of healthcare finance departments, as well as the differences between managerial and financial accounting. To get the most out of your studying experience, we encourage you to take the accompanying lesson quizzes and chapter exam. The chapter also includes an Ask the Expert feature that you can use to submit any questions you may have about the material. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Describe the function and specialization of healthcare finance
- Recognize financial management roles in healthcare organizations
- Explain how healthcare finance departments are normally structured
- Differentiate between financial and managerial accounting
1. Healthcare Finance: Definition, Function & Specialization
In this lesson, you will learn about healthcare finance and two sub-specialties. You will also learn how healthcare providers are involved in healthcare finance.
2. Financial Management in Healthcare Organizations: Roles & Functions
In this lesson, you'll learn the role of financial management in healthcare organizations. We'll also cover the primary functions of the financial management team in a healthcare setting.
3. Finance Department in Healthcare Organizations: Role & Structure
The finance department does more than keep records of payments made to and by a healthcare organization. This lesson examines the role of a healthcare organization's finance department, it's structure, and the functions carried out by the team.
4. Comparing Financial & Managerial Accounting
This lesson will differentiate between financial and managerial accounting by providing definitions and examples of each. At the end of the lesson, you should be able to correctly determine the roles of financial and managerial accounting.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 305: Healthcare Finance & Budgeting course
- Organizational Structure in Healthcare
- Healthcare Organizations & Services
- Financial Reporting in Healthcare
- Health Insurance & Reimbursement
- Estimating Healthcare Costs
- Healthcare Financial Management
- Accounting & Income Statements in Healthcare
- Using Balance Sheets in Healthcare Finance
- Financial Assessment in Healthcare
- Healthcare Planning & Budgeting
- Project Costs & Evaluation in Healthcare
- Healthcare Staffing Needs & Forecasting
- Trends in Healthcare
- Required Assignment for Health 305