About This Chapter
Introduction to Influence in Business - Chapter Summary
This corporate learning chapter offers a high-level introduction to influence and persuasion in the workplace. Using an engaging and simplified teaching style, our instructors show your managers the purpose of influence and persuasion, the process of developing beliefs/values and other concepts related to behavioral and emotional influences.
The chapter is entirely self-paced, and your managers can access it at any time using their computers or mobile devices. Each lesson also comes with a short quiz to help managers remember important influence and persuasion concepts.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: Lessons help front-line managers develop an awareness of fundamental persuasion and influence concepts.
- Differentiates between similar concepts: The chapter shows managers the differences between influence, persuasion, power, manipulation, coercion and other similar concepts.
- Promotes workplace persuasion and influence: Managers who complete the chapter can apply persuasion and influence in the workplace.
Studying this chapter can help your front-line managers:
- Describe the purpose and advantages of persuasion and influence in the workplace
- Understand how people develop beliefs and values
- Recognize behavioral influences on decision making,
- Show awareness of emotional influences on attitudes and persuasion
- Explain how influence and persuasion are different from manipulation and coercion
- Differentiate between influence, authority, power and leadership
1. Influence & Persuasion in the Workplace: Purpose & Benefits
Unlike manipulation and coercion, persuasion and influence are appropriate, effective ways to gain good-faith compliance in pursuit of an objective. This lesson provides guidance for the use of these tools.
2. How Do People Develop Values & Beliefs?
A wide variety of factors influence how and what a person believes, but some factors are more influential than others. This lesson explores some of these major factors and how they impact beliefs over time.
3. Behavioral Influences on Decision Making
We all have to make decisions in our lives. However, many of us do not give much thought about what influences us to make those decisions. In this lesson, we will look at four behavioral influences on the decisions we make.
4. Influence & Persuasion vs. Coercion & Manipulation
Are you more of an influencer or a manipulator? In this lesson, you'll learn more about influence, persuasion, coercion, and manipulation and how your intentions may dictate which behavior you choose.
5. Differences Between Power, Leadership, Authority & Influence
When we look at power, we can associate it to many different aspects of the business world. We can look at authority, leadership, influence and power on their own. In this lesson, we will discuss these four aspects and show you the differences between them, yet how they can coexist.
6. How Emotion Influences Attitudes and Persuasion
Emotions can be used to induce attitude change in a number of ways. In this lesson, we discuss how they can be used within persuasive communication to illicit both short-term and long-term attitude change.
7. Practical Application: Influence, Persuasion, Coercion & Manipulation in the Workplace
Influence, persuasion, coercion and manipulation can all be used to achieve results in the workplace, but they are not all equally effective. Negative methods like manipulation or coercion rarely receive lasting, positive results. Influence and persuasion are better choices.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Influence & Persuasion for Front-Line Managers course