About This Chapter
Introduction to Organizational Theory - Chapter Summary
Ensure you have a comprehensive understanding of organizational theory with this chapter's informative lessons. Our instructors closely examine the organizational life cycle, organizational success, the organizational environment and more. Check your knowledge of these concepts by taking multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam. If you have questions on organizational theory, feel free to submit them to our experts via the Dashboard. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be ready to do the following:
- List and describe different types of organizations
- Define and discuss the theory of an organization environment
- Exhibit knowledge of the organizational life cycle
- Describe interpretive, traditional and critical perspectives on organizations
- Provide facts about social science approaches to people in organizations
- Share factors that can impact organizational success
- Explain how organizations affect society and community
1. Different Types of Organizations: Blau-Scott & Etzioni Typologies
It could be said that there are as many classifications of organizations as there are actual organizations. In this lesson, we'll describe organizational classifications based on two typologies: Blau-Scott and Etzioni.
2. What is an Organizational Environment? - Definition & Theory
An organizational environment is composed of forces or institutions surrounding an organization that affect performance, operations, and resources. Learn more about the definition, importance, and process of organizational environments in this lesson.
3. The Organizational Life Cycle
In this lesson, you will learn about the four stages of the organizational life cycle and how organizations change as they pass through these sequential stages.
4. Traditional, Interpretive & Critical Perspectives on Organizations
In this lesson, we'll cover three key perspectives of organizations and how they influence the organizational structure, its culture, and communication.
5. Social Science Approaches to People in Organizations
Social science research looks at the way people work in organizations. In this lesson, we'll examine the various approaches to studying human behavior and focus on the four major debates in the field.
6. Organizational Success: Factors & Definition
To be successful, an organization must have a statement, a philosophy, and a series of programs and goals that focuses on the skills and talents of its employees. All of this must be managed with care and guidance so that the organization's mission is successfully accomplished.
7. Impact of Organizations on Society & Community
Organizations can have a significant impact on the communities and societies within which they operate. In this lesson, we'll look at the types of impact organizations can have, focusing on social stratification and public policy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 323: Organizational Theory course
- History of Organizational Theory & Master Theorists
- Types of Organizational Structures
- Power in Organizations
- Managing Conflict in Organizations
- Understanding Leadership in Organizations
- Organizational Decision Making
- Types of Organizational Communication
- Managing Organizational Environments
- Organizational Performance & Recognizing the Need for Change
- Required Assignment for Business 323
- Studying for Business 323