About This Chapter
Introduction to Personality Psychology - Chapter Summary
In this engaging chapter, our instructors provide an introduction to personality psychology. You'll study personality, the definition of personality psychology and some of the theories surrounding its study. You can review these lessons as many times as needed to feel confident with these subjects. Before or after reviewing the lessons, our quizzes provide a great gauge to how well you know each lesson's topic. If at any time you have unanswered questions, feel free to reach out to one of our instructors for assistance. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Outline the history of personality psychology
- Compare the prominent personality theories
- Explain how the study of the unconscious relates to personality psychology
- Detail what a personality assessment can predict and what it's used for
- Define psychoanalysis theory
- Describe the cultural context of personality research and theory
- Discuss the code of ethics for the American Psychological Association
1. Intro to Personality
You put two people in the same situation and, odds are, they'll react in a range of different ways. Some people might even react in a completely unexpected or extreme way. Why is this? Read this lesson for insight into personality types and what makes people tick the way they do.
2. Personality Psychology: Definition & Theories
Many people are fascinated by the characteristics that make each of us unique. Read on to discover the different theories of how personality develops.
3. History of Personality Psychology
This lesson will go over a brief history of personality psychology dating back all the way to ancient times. We will then focus on its development in the 20th century.
4. Comparing Personality Theories
In this lesson, we'll go over two of the major psychological perspectives on human personality: theories developed by Sigmund Freud and Carl Rogers. We'll also look at the debate between nomothetic and idiographic views of personality.
5. Studying the Unconscious in Personality Psychology
Although we can't see or understand it, the unconscious mind deeply affects much of the way we think and feel. In this lesson, we'll discuss the workings of the unconscious mind as it impacts our personality.
6. Personality Assessment: Psychological Use & Predictions
This lesson will review numerous types of personality assessment techniques and what they may be used for. It will also discuss which prediction methodology works best when it comes to using these assessment methods.
7. Psychoanalysis Theory: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will focus on the definition of psychoanalysis, discuss Freud's theory of psychoanalysis, and delve into the concepts behind his theory. When you get to the end of the lesson, you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
8. Cultural Context of Personality Theory & Research
This lesson explores the cultural backgrounds of leading personality theorists in psychology. Putting context to the work of Sigmund Freud, B.F. Skinner, and Abraham Maslow allows us to gain a better understand of the inspiration behind it.
9. Understanding the American Psychological Association Code of Ethics
Ethical considerations are important to any group of professionals. Psychologists are therapists, educators, and researchers, and thus, their codes of ethics address all these areas of expertise.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 310: Psychology of Personality course
- Personality Research & Assessment
- Psychoanalytic Theories of Personality
- Adler & Jung & Personality Theory
- Neo-Analytic & Ego Approaches to Identity
- Biological Aspects of Personality
- Psychodynamic Theories & Theorists
- Behavioral & Learning Aspects of Personality
- Cognitive & Existential Theories of Personality
- Humanistic Theories & Theorists
- Trait Aspects of Personality
- Required Assignments for Psychology of Personality