About This Chapter
Introduction to Physical Education - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons give you a broad introduction to physical education and a number of its components. You can find out about legal considerations for physical education and examine trends in physical education. You'll have knowledge of the following once you are done viewing the lessons:
- NASPE standards
- Exercise physiology goals
- A teacher's role in physical education at the elementary and secondary levels
- Effects that substance abuse has on students' health and behaviors
- Overload, progression and specificity training principles
- Skill-related physical fitness vs. health-related physical fitness
- Aerobics, strength training and stretching
- Various benefits of consistent physical activity
Our professional instructors utilize video learning resources to cover the array of physical education topics in the chapter. For each video you watch there will be an aligned lesson transcript to look over while you're studying. The video tags in the timeline come in handy when you want to either return to an earlier video segment for review or jump ahead in the videos.
1. What is Physical Education? - Definition & Overview
In this lesson you will learn about physical education and how it contributes to total growth and development in youth. You will also gain an understanding of what a quality physical education program looks like.
2. The NASPE Standards
In this lesson, you will learn about the NASPE standards and how they are applied in grades K-12. You will also gain an understanding of how these standards help prepare kids for participation in physical activity throughout their lives.
3. Health-Related & Skill-Related Physical Fitness
In this lesson, you will learn about the difference between health-related physical fitness and skill-related physical fitness. You will also gain a clear understanding of the characteristics that are health-related or skill-related.
4. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
5. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
6. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
7. The 3 Principles of Training: Overload, Specificity & Progression
In this lesson, you'll learn about the three principles of training and how to apply them to any fitness program. You'll also gain a clear understanding of why incorporating these principles into your exercise routine is necessary to improve fitness.
8. Exercise Physiology: Definition & Goals
In this lesson, you will learn about exercise physiology and the role it plays in fitness. You'll also learn about the areas of specialization and goals of exercise physiology.
9. The Teacher's Role in Elementary & Secondary Physical Education
In this lesson you will learn about the role that elementary and secondary level classroom teachers play in physical education. You will also learn how teachers can incorporate physical education into the classroom.
10. Benefits of Recess for Elementary School Children
In this lesson, you will learn about elementary school recess and what that means. You will also learn about the health benefits associated with regular recess.
11. Trends, Issues & Developments in Physical Education
In this lesson, we will look at the latest trends, common issues, and developments in physical education. We will look at how these things affect Physical Education today and in the future.
12. Liability & Legal Considerations for Physical Education
In this lesson, you'll learn about the liability and legal considerations for physical education. Discover the common sources of legal liability and specific steps to take in order to reduce accidents and prevent possible legal issues.
13. How Substance Abuse Affects Student Health & Performance
Learn how substance abuse affects student health and performance by looking at mental and physical health risks associated with drug use as well as possible risks to sport and academic performance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Physical Education (5091): Practice & Study Guide course
- Physical Development, Health & Fitness
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Physical Education & Weight Management
- Functions of the Cardiorespiratory System
- Muscular System Functions
- Gross Anatomy of the Muscular System
- Connective Tissue Overview
- Human Skeletal System
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Cognitive Influences on Learning
- Behavioral Influences on Learning
- Student Learning & Motivation
- Managing the Physical Education Classroom
- Communication in Physical Education Settings
- Planning & Instruction in Physical Education
- Student Assessment Types
- Measurement & Analysis for Student Assessments
- Student Assessment in Special Education
- Collaboration, Reflection & Technology in Physical Education
- Praxis Physical Education Flashcards