About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Trigonometry Homeschool Curriculum course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about introductory quadratics. There is no faster or easier way to learn about quadratics. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing complex numbers.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a math curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and an Introduction to Quadratics unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Introduction to Quadratics Unit Objectives:
- Define a quadratic equation, and provide an example.
- Understand the steps for solving a quadratic equation.
- Solve a quadratic equation with the quadratic formula.
- Find the answer to a quadratic equation written in non-standard form.
- Use two binomials to solve a quadratic inequality.
1. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
2. Solving Quadratics: Assigning the Greatest Common Factor and Multiplication Property of Zero
When it comes to solving quadratics, we have at our disposal several methods. Watch this video lesson to learn one such method you can use to solve quadratics that don't have a constant term.
3. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
4. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
5. Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Two Binomials
Watch this video lesson to learn what simple steps you can take to solve quadratic inequalities using two binomials. See how it only requires a few steps to solve quadratic inequalities using this method.
6. Solving Quadratic Equations by Substitution
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve more complicated quadratic equations by the method of substitution. Learn how substitution makes your problem solving easier.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Types of Real Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Absolute Value Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Complex Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Systems of Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Mathematical Modeling: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratic Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Coordinate Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions for Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Function Operations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graph Symmetry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing with Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polynomial Functions Basics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Difference Quotients: Homeschool Curriculum
- Function Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Exponential Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Triangle Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Identities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Applications: Homeschool Curriculum
- Analytic Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polar Coordinates: Homeschool Curriculum
- Circular Arcs, Circles & Angles: Homeschool Curriculum