About This Chapter
Introduction to Quadratics - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Let instructors teaching this chapter introduce you to quadratic expressions, along with the various methods used to factor and solve these second-order polynomials. Each video lesson includes sample problems and multiple-choice quizzes to get you plenty of practice working with quadratics in all of their various forms. By the time you finish this chapter, you should be able to:
- Solve quadratic equations by factoring
- Apply the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations
- Convert quadratic equations into standard form
- Use two binomials to solve quadratic inequalities
- Apply the substitution method to solve a quadratic equation
|What Is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples||Learn what a quadratic equation is. Get some examples of why they're useful in algebra.|
|Solving Quadratics: Assigning the Greatest Common Factor and Multiplication Property of Zero||Discover how to solve quadratic equations by assigning the greatest common factor or applying the multiplication property of zero.|
|How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation||Find out how to use the quadratic formula to solve a quadratic equation that can't be factored.|
|How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form||Use algebra to convert quadratic equations into standard form, so you can solve them by factoring or applying the quadratic formula.|
|Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Two Binomials||Learn how to break quadratic inequalities into two binomials and solve for x.|
|Solving Quadratic Equations by Substitution||Examine the uses of the substitution method to solve quadratic equations.|
1. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
2. Solving Quadratics: Assigning the Greatest Common Factor and Multiplication Property of Zero
When it comes to solving quadratics, we have at our disposal several methods. Watch this video lesson to learn one such method you can use to solve quadratics that don't have a constant term.
3. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
4. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
5. Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Two Binomials
Watch this video lesson to learn what simple steps you can take to solve quadratic inequalities using two binomials. See how it only requires a few steps to solve quadratic inequalities using this method.
6. Solving Quadratic Equations by Substitution
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve more complicated quadratic equations by the method of substitution. Learn how substitution makes your problem solving easier.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Precalculus: High School course
- Working With Inequalities
- Absolute Value Equations
- Working with Complex Numbers
- Working with Quadratic Functions
- Basics of Polynomial Functions
- Working with Higher-Degree Polynomials
- Graphing Piecewise Functions
- Understanding Function Operations
- Graph Symmetry
- Graphing with Functions
- Rate of Change
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients
- Rational Expressions and Function Graphs
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Functions
- Using Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Graphs
- Trigonometric Applications
- Solving Trigonometric Identities
- Vectors, Matrices and Determinants
- Mathematical Sequences and Series
- Sets in Algebra
- Analytic Geometry and Conic Sections
- Polar Coordinates and Parameterizations