About This Chapter
Introduction to Retail Merchandising - Chapter Summary
This introduction to retail merchandising closely examines retail selling, modern retail, business ethics and much more. Review bite-sized lessons to gain greater insight into these topics, and take short quizzes to gauge your comprehension. If you develop questions while studying this chapter, feel free to submit them to our experts via the Dashboard. Our resources are accessible 24/7 via any computer, tablet or smartphone with an Internet connection. After completing this chapter, you will be ready to:
- List techniques and describe the process of retail selling
- Define and share characteristics of retail trade
- Provide the definition and examples of a merchandising business
- Identify and discuss two theories of social responsibility as they relate to business
- Explain the economic and social impact of retailing
- Share a description of global retail channels and distribution
- Discuss the evolution and trends of global retail
1. What is Retail Selling? - Techniques & Process
The understanding of retail selling is important for any successful salesperson. It is a platform for growth in the sales industry. This lesson explains retail selling techniques and the retail selling process. You can then test your knowledge with a quiz!
2. Retail Trade: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Retail trade offers goods to the general public, from a small-scale itinerant merchant to a warehouse-sized hypermarket. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the characteristics and types of retail trade operations.
3. Merchandising Business: Definition & Examples
This lesson explores the exciting world of merchandising businesses. Merchandising businesses are explained and many examples of merchandisers are provided.
4. Business Ethics: Corporate Social Responsibility
Now that companies are concerned with society's welfare, corporate social responsibility is a controversial topic. In this lesson, learn the two theories of social responsibility and the arguments for and against the practice.
5. Social & Economic Impact of Retailing
Retailers impact their local community through their involvement in social causes and creation of jobs. In this lesson, we'll examine the social and economic impact of retailing.
6. Global Retail Channels & Distribution
In this lesson, we will study about the retail industry and its differences in store size and density, as well as how it is affected by socio-economic and political factors.
7. Modern Retail: Evolution & Trends
The greatest change to the retail landscape in the past 20 years resides in your pocket or phone: technology! In this lesson, you'll learn more about how technology has shaped today's retail trends.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 203: Introduction to Retail Merchandising course