About This Chapter
Introduction to Software Engineering - Chapter Summary
This chapter introduces you to fundamental concepts in software engineering. Broken into short topical lessons, this chapter offers a thorough overview of computer software, the software engineering process, system analysis, object-oriented design, software development and much more. To make sure you fully understand the terms covered in the lessons, try the accompanying self-assessment quizzes and chapter exam. You can access the chapter online at any time that fits your schedule, and our subject-matter experts are available to answer any questions you may have about the material. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Recognize the applications of computer software
- Discuss several software engineering methods
- Explain the concept of system analysis in software engineering
- Define object-oriented design and analysis
- Describe software engineering steps
- Outline systems development life cycles
- Dispel myths and misconceptions about software engineering
1. What is Computer Software? - Definition & Applications
In this lesson, we'll briefly go over the basics of what software is and how it's different from hardware. We'll also talk about a couple of examples and see some common uses of software.
2. Software Engineering: Definition, Process & Methods
Software engineering is more than just programming. It includes computer science, project management, engineering and other spheres. This lesson will discuss the different processes involved in it and the common methods used in developing software.
3. What is System Analysis in Software Engineering?
In this lesson, we will explore the concept of software engineering and examine why it is important and the activities that go into a typical systems analysis.
4. What is Object-Oriented Analysis & Design?
This lesson provides an overview of what object oriented analysis and design is and its use in the domain of software engineering. The lesson also briefly describes basic principles in the area of object oriented programming.
5. Software Engineering: Steps & Best Practice
In the growing world of software, have you ever wondered how so many new applications are produced constantly, world-wide, and with better quality? Software engineering is the systematic approach used to make this happen and solve problems faster.
6. Systems Development Life Cycles: Software Development Process
There are a number of models of software development, each with a somewhat different approach to implementing the various phases of the systems development life cycle. Learn about these models in this video lesson.
7. Software Engineering: Myths & Misconceptions
This lesson describes several software engineering myths and misconceptions. It also mentions some common blunders that result in the failure of a software development project. It provides some strategies for overcoming these blunders and myths.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 307: Software Engineering course
- Process Models in Software Engineering
- Development & Testing Methods in Software Engineering
- Agile Development in Software Engineering
- Software Requirements & System Models
- Software Requirements Engineering
- Software Design & Software Reuse
- Software Architectural Design
- Component-Level Design in Software Engineering
- User Interface Design in Software Engineering
- Software Verification & Validation
- Software Management
- Emerging Technologies in Software Engineering
- Required Assignments for Computer Science 307: Software Engineering