About This Chapter
Introduction to Storytelling for Designers - Chapter Summary
Share this chapter with your organization's designers to help them study the importance, applications and impact of storytelling. The chapter's short and engaging lessons show your employees how to use visual storytelling to enhance their design skills, and they can expect to review the foundations of:
- Visual communication
- Graphic design
- Visual media messages
The chapter is entirely self-paced, and your employees can review the material whenever they have free time to strengthen their professional skills. You can also assign the chapter's quizzes to help your designers retain important concepts from the lessons.
How It Helps
- Encourages awareness: The chapter's lessons helps employees establish a high-level awareness of visual communication concepts.
- Helps create visual media messages: Your employees will learn the steps for producing visual media messages.
- Improves communication and design skills: The chapter's visual media concepts can help your employees strengthen their communication, storytelling and graphic design abilities.
By the end of the chapter, your organization's designers should be able to:
- Describe the role of visuals in communication
- Explain the fundamentals of graphic design
- Evaluate types of messages that can be conveyed through visual media
- Produce visual media messages
- Discuss the components, importance and impact of visual storytelling
1. The Role of Visuals in Communication
Visuals used in business communication can help with message development. This lesson will explain how the use of visuals can increase understanding, development, communication, and the retainment of a message.
2. What is Graphic Design? - Definition & Explanation
Graphic design plays an intricate part in marketing techniques used by companies. In this lesson, we will discuss what graphic design is and how it is used for brochures, logos, and packaging.
3. Steps for Producing Visual Media Messages
Learn how to create visual media messages in three easy steps. We will explore the importance of understanding audiences. Then we will examine intricacies and interpretations of visual composition.
4. Visual Storytelling: Components, Examples & Importance
Visual storytelling lets brands communicate their messages using graphics, images, pictures and videos. In this lesson, you'll learn more about this design element and its importance, and see some examples.
5. Principles of Visual Storytelling: Types & Impact
Visual storytelling is about more than just using pictures to illustrate a story. Learn about the four core principles of visual storytelling and how they influence the effectiveness of a narrative.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.