About This Chapter
Introduction to the Performing Arts - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
During this chapter, our instructor will teach you basic concepts regarding performance arts, which include film and ballet. These video lessons show you the important terms, influences, people and history involved in performance art. By the time you complete this chapter, you should know how to:
- Identify and define common ballet terms
- Detail the composers, principal dancers and choreographers for the most popular ballets
- Understand the characteristics of early filmmakers' work
- Explain the influence of American and international filmmakers
- Detail how sound changed the nature of film
|Ballet Terminology||Understand common ballet terminology with examples and the influence of the French language on dance-speak.|
|Popular Ballets through History||Learn concepts about the most popular ballets, as well as corresponding composers, choreographers and principle dancers.|
|Contemporary Dance and Dancers||Become familiar with contemporary choreographers like Fosse, Graham, Ailey and others. Understand the different types of dance they've brought into popularity.|
|Early Film: Directors and Techniques||Explore the characteristics of early film. Be able to identify early filmmakers and works.|
|Influence of Sound Film||Learn how the nature of film changed with the introduction of sound.|
|Influential American Filmmakers||Find out about directors, ranging from Hitchcock and Spielberg.|
|Influential World Filmmakers||Explore the careers of international filmmakers that include Fellini, Kurosawa, Wilder, Bergman and others.|
1. Ballet Dance Terminology and Key Concepts
The fact that most ballet terms are in French can make them seem intimidating, but they're more accessible than you might think. Learn some of the key terms used in ballet dance.
2. Popular Ballet Dances and Choreographers
Learn about some of the popular and enduring ballet dances, choreographers, and composers throughout history, and find out why audiences go to watch them again and again.
3. Early Film: Directors & Techniques
In this lesson, we will study early film. We will look at the inventions that helped create the movie industry and explore the first films, directors, movie stars, and movie companies.
4. Introduction of Sound to the Film Industry
In this lesson, we will explore the introduction of sound to the film industry. We will learn about the inventions that made sound in film possible, study the first movies with sound, and reflect on the changes that sound brought to the movie world.
5. Contemporary Dance and Dancers in the United States
Contemporary dance in America is like nothing that came before it. Learn about the dancers and choreographers who shaped this art form in the 20th century and made it uniquely American.
6. Influential American Filmmakers: Hitchcock to Spielberg
In this lesson, we will meet a few of America's most famous filmmakers. We will look at the accomplishments of Alfred Hitchcock, Steven Spielberg, and several other influential directors who have changed the movie industry.
7. Influential World Filmmakers: Kurosawa to Bergman
In this lesson, we will meet some famous international filmmakers. We will explore the contributions of directors like Akira Kurosawa, Sergei Eisenstein, Billy Wilder, and Ingmar Bergman.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CLEP Humanities: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Literary Terms & Techniques
- Medieval Literature
- The English Renaissance
- Literature of the Victorian Era
- British & American Romanticism
- British Literature of the 20th Century
- Literary Modernism
- Prominent American Novelists
- World Literature: Drama
- Romantic Poetry
- Poetry of the Ancient and Modern Worlds
- Elements of Music
- Philosophy and Nonfiction
- History of Visual Art
- History of Architecture
- Opera and Orchestral Music
- Jazz Music
- Musical Theater and Popular Music
- Medieval Music
- Renaissance Music
- The Baroque Period in Music
- The Classical Music Period
- The Romantic Period in Music
- Modern Era Music
- World Music