About This Chapter
Introduction to Unconscious Bias & Microaggressions in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
In this expertly designed chapter on unconscious bias and microaggressions, our expert instructors present the definition of bias, the impact of microaggressions in the workplace and the use of data to identify them. Included with each lesson is a multiple-choice quiz so you can be sure these concepts are understood by your team members.
How It Helps
- Provides knowledge: Your employees will review implicit bias and the impact of workplace microaggressions and gain insight into these topics.
- Offers flexibility: Regardless of their schedules, you can use this chapter with all of your team members, providing them with a flexible and convenient way to complete the corporate training that's needed.
- Builds confidence: Once your employees understand bias and microaggressions and their impact at work, your teams as a whole can be unified and move forward more confidently.
This informative chapter is designed to help your employees do the following:
- Define bias
- Outline the definition and impact of implicit bias
- Provide examples of microaggressions at work
- Understand how data is used to identify unconscious bias and microaggression in the workplace
1. What is Bias? - Definition & Types
Through this lesson, you will learn how to define bias and explore a brief introduction to some of the types that exist in psychology and the social sciences. When you are through with the lesson, you can test your new knowledge with a short quiz.
2. Implicit Bias in the Workplace: Definition, Examples & Impact
Implicit bias in the workplace might sneak in where you least expect it! In this lesson, you'll learn more about what this type of bias is, learn about its impact, and find strategies to address it.
3. Practical Application: Evaluating Your Implicit Biases
Many bad business decisions are the result of implicit bias. Implicit bias affects decisions because it influences thoughts or actions through misrepresentation or misunderstanding.
4. Microaggressions in the Workplace: Definition, Examples & Impact
If you are interested in creating an emotionally safe climate at your workplace, then you probably want to learn more about microaggressions. This lesson discusses what microaggressions are and how they can work.
5. Using Data to Identify Unconscious Bias & Microaggression at Work
Nobody wants to admit it, even to themselves, but everybody has some bias. In this lesson, we will explore how companies and employees can collect and utilize data to bring unconscious biases to light and address them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Unconscious Bias & Microaggressions in the Workplace course