About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your vertebrates homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample questions and get instant feedback.
- Finish your vertebrates homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Origin, characteristics and diversity of vertebrates
- Jawless craniates
- Fishes and sharks
- Primates and human origin
1. Vertebrates: Origin, Characteristics & Diversity
Vertebrates are diverse and widespread across Earth, but this was not always the case. In this lesson you'll learn about the origins and evolution of these animals, as well as explore their vast diversity.
2. Jawless Craniates: Class Myxini & Class Petromyzontida
The word 'fish' brings specific images to mind. But before these fish existed, there were the jawless craniates. In this lesson you will identify two classes that fall into this category: the hagfishes and the lampreys.
3. Fishes and Sharks: Origins of Jaws in Vertebrates
While it may appear to be a minor feature, the hinged jaw led to major changes in the evolution of animals. In this lesson, you'll discover some of the earliest jawed animals, the sharks and fishes of the world.
4. Tetrapods: Development of Limbs in Vertebrates
Having four limbs allowed for an incredible amount of diversification in the animal kingdom. But where did those limbs come from, and what types of diversifications arose from animals moving onto land?
5. Amniotes: Definition and Evolutionary Characteristics
One of the more 'recent' evolutionary developments in vertebrates is a terrestrial egg. This adaptation allowed for even greater diversity in this branch of the Animal Kingdom, giving rise to organisms that could now live their entire lives on land.
6. Primates and Human Origin
You probably know that you are a primate, just like gorillas and monkeys. But you may be surprised to find out how long primates have been around and how many of them are still living on Earth, which are covered in this lesson.
7. Coelom: Definition, Formation & Function
The coelom exists in multicellular organisms. As a feature of higher-classed organisms, it serves a very important purpose. In this lesson, we'll discuss the formation and use of the coelom in living organisms.
8. Marsupial: Definition, Facts & Examples
In this lesson you will learn about this fascinating category of animals including what defines a marsupial, examples of marsupials, how marsupials function, where they live and how they came to live in those places.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Biology: Homework Help Resource course
- Science Basics: Homework Help
- Basic Science Lab Skills: Homework Help
- Inorganic Chemistry Review for High School Biology: Homework Help
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry: Homework Help
- Enzymatic Biochemistry: Homework Help
- Cell Biology: Homework Help
- Requirements of Biological Systems: Homework Help
- Cell Communication: Homework Help
- Metabolic Biochemistry: Homework Help
- Cell Division: Homework Help
- Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA: Homework Help
- DNA Replication - Processes and Steps: Homework Help
- The Transcription and Translation Process: Homework Help
- Genetics - Principles of Heredity: Homework Help
- Genetic Mutations: Homework Help
- DNA Technology and Genomics: Homework Help
- Bacterial Biology Overview: Homework Help
- Introduction to Viruses: Homework Help
- The Origin of the Universe and Life on Earth: Homework Help
- Geologic Time: Homework Help
- Evolution Overview: Homework Help
- Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms: Homework Help
- Plant Biology: Homework Help
- Plant Reproduction and Growth: Homework Help
- Introduction to Fungi: Homework Help
- Introduction to Invertebrates: Homework Help
- Digestive System & Other Systems: Homework Help
- The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Homework Help
- Animal Reproduction and Development: Homework Help
- Human Reproductive Systems: Homework Help
- Ecology and the Environment: Homework Help
- Human Effects on the Environment: Homework Help
- Animal Behavior: Homework Help
- Basic Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques: Homework Help
- Analyzing Scientific Data: Homework Help