About This Chapter
Intro to Veterans in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
Share this chapter with your staff to establish a thorough understanding of topics related with veterans in the workplace. Consisting of short and simple lessons, this chapter examines some characteristics of veterans, as well as professional challenges and work styles. Your employees will also see why hiring veterans is beneficial in business. Following each lesson is a short quiz that highlights important terms and concepts. Employees will be able to access these learning materials at any time that fits their schedules.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter helps your employees become aware of veteran characteristics and associated professional challenges.
- Highlights veteran benefits: Our lessons show employees the importance and benefits of hiring veterans.
- Improves veteran accommodation: Employees who complete the chapter will be able to apply their understanding of veteran work styles, characteristics and challenges to better accommodate these workers.
By the end of the chapter, your employees will be able to:
- Define the term veteran
- Describe the characteristics and work style of veterans in the workplace
- Identify challenges associated with veterans in the workplace
- Recognize the organizational benefits of hiring veterans
1. What Is a Veteran? - Definition & Importance
Veterans include those with much experience in a specific field, and those who served in the military. Regardless of their type, veterans play an important part in American history and culture, as we will discover in this lesson.
2. Veterans in the Workplace: Work Style & Characteristics
In this lesson, we go over the numerous characteristics that veterans are known for in the civilian workplace. We'll also go over how they compare to other potential hires.
3. Veterans' Workplace Challenges
In this lesson, we go over some of the challenges that veterans face when entering the civilian workplace. These challenges can be divided roughly into ones their employers may see and those the veterans see.
4. What Are the Benefits of Hiring Veterans?
As a group, veterans demonstrate many behaviors that can be beneficial to a company, while also bringing a valuable set of experiences. Additionally, the government offers a number of tax benefits for companies that hire veterans under certain circumstances.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.