About This Chapter
Inventory Control for Food & Beverage Services - Chapter Summary
Study this chapter to review inventory control methods in the food service industry. Each lesson is taught by an expert instructor who presents inventory control techniques, procedures and policies in an easy-to-follow manner. To make sure you fully understand these concepts, we've included short self-assessment quizzes following each lesson. We've also made the chapter accessible on any computer or mobile device to make for a flexible and convenient studying experience.
Studying this chapter can help you:
- Understand the purpose of a yield test
- Identify best practices for food service inventory control
- Recognize the differences between manual and automated inventory control systems and assess their respective advantages
- Outline food and beverage inventory control techniques, policies and procedures
1. What is a Yield Test?
In this lesson on food and beverage management, we discuss yield testing, a food service operation. This is used to determine the final yield of the product that is consumable after all the processing is completed.
2. Inventory Control: Definition & Best Practices
Companies need to control their inventory to ensure that they have the right amount available at the right time. In this lesson, you'll learn about some best practices for inventory control.
3. Inventory Control Systems: Manual & Automated
The ability to control inventory is critical as businesses make money by selling inventory to consumers. In this lesson, you will learn about manual and automated inventory control systems.
4. Advantages of Inventory Control Systems
Inventory control is important for all organizations that need to keep inventory on-hand. This lesson will discuss how properly managing inventory through an inventory control system can benefit an organization.
5. Inventory Control Techniques
A business can only make a profit when it has enough inventory to sell to its customers or enough for its production process. In this lesson, you'll learn about inventory control techniques.
6. Inventory Control: Policies & Procedures
A company's most valuable asset is often the value of the inventory it holds. In this lesson, we'll discuss some policies and procedures that can be used to protect those assets from expiration, theft, or other types of loss.
7. Food & Beverage Inventory Control
Inventory control is an essential part of the food and beverage business. In this lesson, we will discuss how to negotiate prices for inventory, how to control inventory, and the importance of database management.
8. Required Assignments Reminder
Sorry for the interruption to your course progress! We wanted to make sure you knew this course has a written assignment requirement in order to be completed. Read on to learn where to find these assignments and how to submit them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 309: Food & Beverage Service & Operations course
- Intro to Food & Beverage Operations
- Feasibility Planning for the Restaurant Industry
- Marketing Fundamentals for Restaurants
- Menu Planning Basics
- Food & Beverage Costs & Purchasing
- Food & Beverage Pricing Methods
- Food & Beverage Storage
- Restaurant Food Production
- Food Preparation Basics
- Food Preparation Safety
- Types of Restaurant Service
- Restaurant Service Overview
- Serving Alcoholic Beverages
- Restaurant Design & Equipment Selection
- Financial Management for Food Service
- Food & Beverage Industry Trends
- Required Assignments for Hospitality 309