About This Chapter
Israel & Judah from Solomon to the Fall of Jerusalem - Chapter Summary
This collection of engaging and informative history lessons examines the ancient kingdoms of Israel and Judah from Solomon to the fall of Jerusalem. Our expert history instructors will trace the timelines of this historical era and help you review these kingdom's locations, geography development and dynasties. Studying this chapter can help you:
- Understand the historical timeline of ancient Israel
- Locate the ancient Kingdom of Israel on a map
- Describe Ancient Israel's geographical features and resources
- Explain how Israel transformed from a collection of tribes into a large kingdom
- Outline the history of Judea
- Identify the different dynasties from the Kingdom of Israel
- Analyze the siege of Jerusalem and the fall of Judea
After completing each lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to make sure you fully understand the material. You can navigate to specific lesson topics from your course Dashboard and revisit the lessons as many times as needed. If you need any extra help mastering these historical topics, simply submit a question to our instructors. Finally, we've made the chapter available 24/7 and accessible on any Internet-connected device so you can study whenever and wherever it's convenient.
1. Historical Overview of Ancient Israel
This lesson follows the history of ancient Israel from its earliest patriarch, Abraham, through the Egyptian period with Moses and finally to the establishment of the kingdom and rule of David and Solomon.
2. Ancient Kingdom of Israel: Timeline & Map
In this lesson, we explore the ancient Kingdom of Israel. Though most of our documentation comes from the Bible, historians have pieced together a rough history of this fascinating ancient state.
3. Ancient Israel: Geography & Environment
Ancient Israel was not just a dry desert, but a thriving nation with a temperate climate. Ancient Israel traded produce with its neighbors and contained many important cities, which this lesson will discuss.
4. Israel: From Tribes to Kingdom
Within generations, the Israelites went from being sons of the same person, Jacob, to a kingdom with some of the greatest rulers in history. This lesson details how that transformation happened.
5. Kingdom of Judea: History & Explanation
Explore the history and significance of this ancient Israeli kingdom, also called Mamlekhet Yehuda, and test your understanding about the ancient world and the history of the Jewish people.
6. Kingdom of Israel: Dynasties, Prophets & Decline
The northern kingdom of Israel has a fascinating and tumultuous history from its beginnings after the division of Solomon's kingdom until its capture by the Assyrians. This lesson will explain this history and how prophets provided commentary on what the rulers were doing during this time.
7. The Siege of Jerusalem & Fall of Judea
Jewish history and cultural memory revolves around a few pivotal moments. One of the most important is the 587 BCE Siege of Jerusalem, a moment that changed Jewish history forever.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Ancient History: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Cities of Vesuvius: Pompeii & Herculaneum
- Old Kingdom of Ancient Egypt
- New Kingdom of Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Egyptian Economy & Society
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Customs
- Important Ancient Egyptian Personalities
- Ancient Assyria Overview
- Ancient Israel Overview
- Important Near East Personalities
- Persia from Cyrus II to Darius III
- Ancient Persia Overview
- Ancient Minoans
- Mycenaean Civilization
- Ancient Greece from 500-399 BC
- Ancient Greece: Athens Overview
- Ancient Greece: Sparta Overview
- 4th Century Greece Till the Death of Philip II of Macedon
- Important Ancient Greek Personalities
- Ancient Rome from 264 to 31 BC
- Ancient Rome from 44 BC to AD 235
- Important Ancient Roman Personalities
- HSC Ancient History Flashcards