About This Chapter
Issues in Human Development - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll view entertaining video lessons about subjects like latchkey children and social problems in childhood. Once you are finished viewing the lessons, you can see how much information you've retained by taking a short quiz about the definition of social norms in infants or the effects of developmental abnormalities in children. After completing this chapter, you will have covered the following topics:
- Definition and diagnosis of abnormal human development
- Social norms in infants, children and adults
- Social problems in childhood
- Effects of developmental abnormalities in children
- Behavioral and emotional disorders
- Stress and adjustment difficulty in middle childhood
- Latchkey children
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Advanced cognitive development
- Mood, eating, anxiety, and substance related disorders
One of the best parts about this study guide is that you can use the links below the videos to revisit certain topics in them. Studying on the go is not a problem, because you can print the worksheets along with their answer keys. Our instructors are available to answer any questions that may come up as you move through the chapter.
1. Abnormal Human Development: Definition & Examples
Abnormal development occurs when a person develops an unusual pattern of behavior, emotion or thought. In this lesson, you will learn what abnormal development is, how it is determined and examine different examples.
2. Classification & Diagnosis of Psychological Disorders
How do you diagnose something that you can't see? That's the problem faced by psychologists. This lesson will show you the tool they use to help diagnose their patients.
3. What Are Social Norms? Definition & Examples in Infants, Children & Adults
In this lesson, you will gain an understanding of social norms and define related terms. You will also examine the effects of social norms in infants, children, adolescents, and adults.
4. Social Issues in Middle Childhood & Their Effects on Development
Children grow and develop in many ways. But sometimes issues at home or school can get in the way of development. In this lesson, we'll look at some issues that might contribute to developmental problems in a child's life.
5. Developmental Abnormalities in Children: Effects & Impacts on Learning
Developmental abnormalities in children have an impact on their learning and social skills. Examine an example in this lesson that will help you learn about the importance of early intervention.
6. Behavioral Characteristics of Children with Asperger Syndrome
If you have never met a person with Asperger syndrome, you might wonder how they differ from you. In this lesson, we'll explore the behaviors common to people with Asperger and other autism spectrum disorders.
7. Stress and Resilience in Middle Childhood
Childhood can be a stressful time. But what causes children to feel stress, and how can they deal with it? Watch this lesson to find out what factors impact how much stress a child feels, and what properties of resilience allow children to deal with stress.
8. Adjustment Difficulty in Middle Childhood
What happens when a child has social or emotional problems? In this lesson, we'll look at adjustment issues in middle childhood, including anxiety, school phobia and depression, and what parents can do to help their children.
9. Latchkey and Self-Care Children in Middle Childhood
Latchkey kids have to take care of themselves when they are home alone. But is this a good thing or a bad thing? In this lesson, we'll look at some of the benefits and drawbacks of self-care in middle childhood.
10. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Definition of ADHD
This lesson explores common characteristics of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as well as the best practices for teaching learners with this disorder.
11. Advanced Cognitive Development and Renzulli's Triad
In this lesson, we will explore advanced cognitive development in terms of a gifted child. We will also define what it means to be gifted and Joseph Renzulli's model of giftedness.
12. Mood Disorders: Depression, Persistent Depressive Disorder & Bipolar Disorder
Does feeling sad automatically mean someone is depressed? Are there different kinds of depression? What are mood disorders? This lesson will take a look at the answers to those questions.
13. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) & Eating Disorders: Definition & Types
Many of us have something about our appearance that we'd like to change, but for some people these desires can develop into actual disorders. How are body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders related? This lesson gives you a closer look at these disorders and the impact they can have on people.
14. Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Phobias & Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
When do we cross the boundary between natural worry and the debilitating types of anxiety associated with disorders? In this lesson, you'll explore some common anxiety disorders and their potential causes.
15. Substance Abuse & Substance Dependence: Definition & Characteristics
Many people have a drink now and then, but how do you know if you have a substance-related disorder? This lesson will help you learn the difference between just having a drink and having an actual problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC School Counselor (051): Practice & Study Guide course
- History of Counseling
- Roles and Responsibilities of the Guidance Counselor
- Counseling Theory
- Individual and Group Counseling
- Learning Assessments
- College Counseling Tools
- Career Counseling Tools
- Crisis Intervention
- Diversity and Equality Issues in School Counseling
- Comprehensive School Counseling Program
- Program Evaluation
- Curriculum Development and Delivery
- Strategies for Diverse Learning Environments
- Human Development Topics
- MTTC School Counselor Flashcards