About This Chapter
Issues in Leading Organizational Change - Chapter Summary
Organizational changes can create issues related to management, employee attitudes/behaviors and workplace conflicts. In this chapter, you'll see how leaders can apply effective strategies to overcome these types of organizational change barriers and issues. The chapter's bite-sized lessons and quizzes can be accessed any time, and we've included a comprehensive chapter exam to help you retain the information you study. Use any computer or mobile device to access these lessons, and feel free to submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Evaluate managerial challenges that can arise due to organizational change
- Discuss strategies that can help organizations overcome barriers to change
- Assess the relationship between organizational culture and change
- Describe organizational culture dysfunctions
- Tell how organizational change can affect employee attitudes and behaviors
- Describe Schlesinger and Kotter's perspectives on resistance to change
- Outline several conflict resolution strategies
1. Managerial Challenges Caused by Organizational Change
External factors and internal environmental factors are responsible for many overall organizational changes. With change, managers must plan for challenges they may face when trying to implement new ways of doing things.
2. Overcoming Barriers to Change in Organizations
Overcoming barriers to change in an organization can be difficult. There are some basic strategies that can help improve the acceptance of major changes within a company.
3. Organizational Culture and Change
Organizational change involving altering processes and systems within a company often affects the existing group norms, beliefs and values. This makes change a challenge for managers. There are tactics managers can use to institute change in a positive and welcoming way.
4. Dysfunction in Organizational Culture: Institutionalization & Barriers
In this lesson, you will learn how the culture of an organization can become a liability by acting as a barrier to change, a barrier to diversity, or a barrier to a merger or acquisition with another organization.
5. Employee Behavior & Attitudes During Organizational Change
Change can be difficult for organizations. The fear of the unknown, fear of loss, fear of failure, disruption of relationships, certain personalities and internal politics are the main reasons for rejecting change. In order to manage change, the company needs to offer communication, support and participation.
6. Kotter & Schlesinger: Resistance to Change
Change happens. If you've ever been part of an organizational change, you know that most people aren't big fans of change. In this lesson, we'll learn one perspective of why that is and how managers can deal with resistance to change.
7. Conflict Resolution: Managing Conflict in Organizations
Conflict can be solved in many ways. This lesson provides an overview of the different types of conflict resolution strategies, including avoidance, accommodation, competition, compromise, and collaboration.
8. Strategies for Overcoming Barriers to Organizational Change
As companies look to innovate and grow, organizational change is to be expected. While organizational change may be risky, it can also set the company up for continued future success. This lesson will review strategies for overcoming barriers to organizational change.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 304: Leading Organizational Change course
- How Leadership Affects Organizational Change
- Leadership Theories & Organizational Change
- Types of Leadership in Business
- Power & Leadership in Business Organizations
- Choosing Organizational Structures
- Change Factors in Organizations
- Management Functions & Organizational Change
- Organizational Change Theories
- Strategies for Implementing Changes in Business
- Communicating Change in Business
- Organizational Change & Company Culture
- Corporate Vision, Mission & Change
- Globalization & Organizational Change
- Required Assignments for Business 304
- Studying for Business 304