About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Algebraic Expressions - Chapter Summary
Most likely, algebraic expressions were some of the first topics your students went over in algebra class, so when it comes time to take the ISTEP+: Grade 7 Mathematics test, these earlier lessons are not exactly fresh in your seventh graders' minds. Luckily, our instructors have developed these tests-prep chapters that let your students brush up on topics they may not fully remember. For instance, this chapter will let your students recall the following:
- Defining algebraic variables
- Using algebraic expressions to show relationships
- Steps for assessing simple algebraic expressions
- Arithmetic expressions and the proper setup
- Turning words into algebraic expressions
- Creating equivalent expressions
- Finding like terms and combining them
- Using the multiplication principle to solve problems
- Finding answers through using the addition principle
The majority of students today don't want endless, boring study guides. They prefer to use technology, particularly interactive programs, and that is exactly what Study.com delivers. Everything we offer is online, so your students can use their phones, tablets, laptops, or computers to watch video lessons. They can choose to watch every lesson, or skip around to the areas in which they need the most help. We also offer a timeline feature, so students can click on specific topics within any given lesson.
Our interactive assessment tools give your students the chance to test their knowledge. After they finish a lesson, they can select the quiz tab to answer multiple-choice style questions. There is also an exam available at the end of every chapter. As an added bonus, you can view your student's assessment scores, so you'll know whether your student is truly ready for the ISTEP+: Grade 7 Mathematics test.
1. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
2. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
3. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
4. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
5. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
6. Writing Equivalent Expressions: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what an algebraic expression is and what makes two algebraic expressions equivalent. You'll also see some examples of equivalent expressions.
7. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
8. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
9. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Prime Factorization
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Square Roots
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Operations with Rational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Math Properties
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Graphing Basics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Linear Equations
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Inequalities
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Slope & Rate of Change
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Lines & Angles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Geometric Constructions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Triangles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Similar Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Area & Circumference
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Complex Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Populations & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Probability
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Mathematical Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math Flashcards