About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Data Analysis & Statistics - Chapter Summary
This chapter will prepare your students for the ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math exam by helping them review data analysis and statistics. These engaging lessons help students get ready to answer questions about:
- Center, spread, maximums, minimums and outliers in data sets
- Quartiles and the interquartile range
- Finding percentiles and calculating standard deviation
- How to choose a technique for data collection
- Mean, median, mode, range and how to calculate them
- The visual representations of data sets
- Bar graphs, pie charts, histograms and box plots
- Frequency distributions
Interactive quizzes are included in this chapter to encourage students to apply what they know about statistics. Each lesson includes a transcript, providing an additional opportunity to review the methods of data analysis. Students can also contact expert instructors with any questions that they might have so that the education and review process can continue.
1. What is the Center in a Data Set? - Definition & Options
Finding the center in a data set can sometimes be a little confusing. This lesson will help you determine the correct method for finding the center in a data set, and when you are finished, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
2. Spread in Data Sets: Definition & Example
Identifying the spread in data sets is a very important part of statistics. You can do this several ways, but the most common methods are through range, interquartile range, and variance.
3. Maximums, Minimums & Outliers in a Data Set
When analyzing data sets, the first thing to identify is the maximums, minimums, and outliers. This lesson will help you learn how to identify these important items.
4. Quartiles & the Interquartile Range: Definition, Formulate & Examples
Quartiles and the interquartile range can be used to group and analyze data sets. In this lesson, learn the definition and steps for finding the quartiles and interquartile range for a given data set.
5. Finding Percentiles in a Data Set: Formula & Examples
Percentiles are often used in academics to compare student scores. Finding percentiles in a data set can be a useful way to organize and compare numbers in a data set.
6. Calculating the Standard Deviation
In this lesson, we will examine the meaning and process of calculating the standard deviation of a data set. Standard deviation can help to determine if the data set is a normal distribution.
7. Strategies for Choosing a Data Collection Technique
After figuring out what you are going to study, you, as the researcher, will need to figure out how to study it. This lesson discusses popular ways a researcher can collect data as well as why a researcher would chose a particular data collection technique.
8. Mean, Median & Mode: Measures of Central Tendency
By describing the data using central tendency, a researcher and reader can understand what the typical score looks like. In this lesson, we will explore in more detail these measures of central tendency and how they relate to samples and populations.
9. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
10. Visual Representations of a Data Set: Shape, Symmetry & Skewness
Visual representations are a fantastic way of understanding and analyzing your data. Use this lesson to understand the characteristics of visual representations of data.
11. Understanding Bar Graphs and Pie Charts
In this lesson, we will examine two of the most widely used types of graphs: bar graphs and pie charts. These two graphs can provide the reader with a comparison of the different data that is displayed.
12. Creating & Interpreting Histograms: Process & Examples
Creating histograms can help you easily identify and interpret data. This lesson will give you several examples to better understand histograms and how to create them.
13. Creating & Interpreting Box Plots: Process & Examples
Box plots are an essential tool in statistical analysis. This lesson will help you create a box plot and understand its meaning. When you are finished, test your understanding with a short quiz!
14. Frequency Distributions: Definition & Types
This lesson explores the process of creating frequency distributions and histograms to give readers of your future scientific articles a numerical or visual way to understand the data you have presented.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Prime Factorization
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Square Roots
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Operations with Rational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Math Properties
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Graphing Basics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Linear Equations
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Inequalities
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Slope & Rate of Change
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Lines & Angles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Geometric Constructions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Triangles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Similar Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Area & Circumference
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Complex Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Populations & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Probability
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Mathematical Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math Flashcards