About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Geometric Constructions - Chapter Summary
Set your students on the path to success on the ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math exam by reviewing geometric constructions with this chapter. You can count on these lessons to help students understand:
- How geometric construction works
- Line segment bisection and the midpoint theorem
- Methods for constructing parallel and perpendicular lines
- Ways to construct angle bisectors, the median of a triangle and triangles
These video lessons include timelines that allow students to navigate directly to steps in the geometric construction process that they need to review. Important vocabulary words are emphasized throughout the chapter, further preparing students for success.
1. Geometric Constructions Using Lines and Angles
Watch this video lesson to learn about geometric construction and how you can copy line segments and angles without using any numbers. All you need is a straight edge and a compass.
2. Line Segment Bisection & Midpoint Theorem: Geometric Construction
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to bisect a line segment without measurements using just a compass and a straight edge. You'll also learn about the midpoint theorem, which lets you calculate the midpoint if you have the measurements.
3. Constructing a Parallel Line Using a Point Not on the Given Line
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn how to draw parallel lines with just a compass and a straightedge. Also, learn why you would want to be able to do this in real life.
4. Constructing Perpendicular Lines in Geometry
In this video lesson, you will see how to use geometric construction to draw perpendicular lines. Learn why geometric construction is useful. Also find out the only two tools in addition to your pencil that you need to do this.
5. Constructing an Angle Bisector in Geometry
Watch this video lesson to learn a cool way to split an angle in half. You can use this method to split a pie slice in half where you can be sure each side is equal.
6. Constructing the Median of a Triangle
If you have one triangle and want to divide it, you can use a median line. Medians have special geometric properties that we'll learn about in this lesson.
7. Constructing Triangles: Types of Geometric Construction
When you're asked to construct a triangle, it's time to break out that compass and straight edge! In this lesson, find out how to construct triangles no matter what you're given.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Prime Factorization
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Square Roots
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Operations with Rational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Math Properties
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Graphing Basics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Linear Equations
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Inequalities
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Slope & Rate of Change
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Lines & Angles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Triangles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Similar Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Area & Circumference
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Complex Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Populations & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Probability
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Mathematical Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math Flashcards