About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Mathematical Process - Chapter Summary
Students using the lessons in this chapter will explore critical thinking and the use of logic in mathematics for the ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math test. They'll have the opportunity to look at such specifics as:
- Logical math connectors
- Conditional statements
- Mathematical principles used for problem solving
- Three-way principle
- Reasoning in mathematics
- Truth values and truth tables
The videos in this chapter are made short and interactive, allowing students to have fun while improving upon their knowledge of mathematical process for the exam. There are self-assessment quizzes available as well, which help your students check their understanding and skills quickly. All of the video lessons are taught by professional instructors online who are available to answer any follow-up questions.
1. Critical Thinking and Logic in Mathematics
Logic has its own unique language and way of defining what is true and false. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can critically think in the language of logic while working with math.
2. Reasoning in Mathematics: Connective Reasoning
Connective reasoning is reasoning that has an operation, or a way to connect two phrases. The five main logic connectives will be reviewed in this lesson.
3. Propositions, Truth Values and Truth Tables
Watch this video lesson and learn what truth values are and what a truth table looks like. Learn how to go from a proposition to its negation and how that affects the truth values and the truth tables.
4. Logical Math Connectors: Conjunctions and Disjunctions
Watch this video lesson to learn how to identify conjunctions and disjunctions. Also learn the connectors that are used with each. Learn how you can use them to make statements.
5. Conditional Statements in Math
Sometimes, what is true in the mathematical world of logic is false in the real world. Check out this lesson to learn how to identify conditional statements and how you can differentiate between what is logically true and what is true in reality.
6. Logic Laws: Converse, Inverse, Contrapositive & Counterexample
Logical statements can be useful, but only if we are able to determine their validity. In this lesson, we'll look at the various forms of a logical statement and see how they relate to each other.
7. Mathematical Principles for Problem Solving
Solving problems is not just a simple, straightforward process. There are a few principles that can help you as you approach any problem solving scenarios. This lesson covers those principles with examples.
8. The Three-Way Principle of Mathematics
What methods are there to solve and understand mathematical problems? This lesson will review three methods to understand mathematical problems (verbal, graphical, and by example). Each will be illustrated with examples.
9. Using Mathematical Models to Solve Problems
Mathematical modeling simply refers to the creation of mathematical formulas to represent a real world problem in mathematical terms. This lesson reviews the creation and pitfalls of mathematical models.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Prime Factorization
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Square Roots
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Operations with Rational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Math Properties
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Graphing Basics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Linear Equations
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Inequalities
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Slope & Rate of Change
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Lines & Angles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Geometric Constructions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Triangles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Similar Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Area & Circumference
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Complex Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Populations & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Probability
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math Flashcards