About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Probability - Chapter Summary
Make sure your students are ready to answer questions about probability on the ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math exam by having them check out this chapter. Our lessons will provide a thorough review of:
- How probability is determined for simple, compound and complementary events
- Simple conditional probabilities
- The probability of independent events
- Independent, dependent, overlapping and non-overlapping events
- Steps for calculating probability, the probability of chance and relative frequency
These engaging lessons were designed by experts in the field of mathematics. Our instructors remain available to answer questions about the processes related to probability.
1. Probability of Simple, Compound and Complementary Events
Simple, compound, and complementary events are different types of probabilities. Each of these probabilities are calculated in a slightly different fashion. In this lesson, we will look at some real world examples of these different forms of probability.
2. How to Calculate Simple Conditional Probabilities
Conditional probability, just like it sounds, is a probability that happens on the condition of a previous event occurring. To calculate conditional probabilities, we must first consider the effects of the previous event on the current event.
3. Probability of Independent and Dependent Events
Sometimes probabilities need to be calculated when more than one event occurs. These types of compound events are called independent and dependent events. Through this lesson, we will look at some real-world examples of how to calculate these probabilities.
4. Either/Or Probability: Overlapping and Non-Overlapping Events
Statistics is the study and interpretation of a set of data. One area of statistics is the study of probability. This lesson will describe how to determine the either/or probability of overlapping and non-overlapping events.
5. Probability of Independent Events: The 'At Least One' Rule
Occasionally when calculating independent events, it is only important that the event happens once. This is referred to as the 'At Least One' Rule. To calculate this type of problem, we will use the process of complementary events to find the probability of our event occurring at least once.
6. Calculating the Probability of Chance
Suppose you'd like to meet a five-foot-tall basketball player in your math class. What are your chances? Here's how to estimate a probability, using a sampling technique and appropriate calculations.
7. Calculating Probability & Relative Frequencies
Learn to model simple situations by calculating probabilities for events with equally likely outcomes. Use these probabilities to make predictions, and evaluate your model by comparing real-life observations to the predictions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Prime Factorization
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Square Roots
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Operations with Rational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Math Properties
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Graphing Basics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Linear Equations
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Inequalities
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Slope & Rate of Change
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Lines & Angles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Geometric Constructions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Triangles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Similar Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Area & Circumference
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Complex Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Populations & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Mathematical Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math Flashcards