About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Similar Figures - Chapter Summary
This chapter will ensure that your students are familiar with similar figures before they take the ISTEP+ Grade 7 exam. Our lively lessons were specifically designed to review:
- Similar polygons and how they're constructed
- Similar triangles and their applications
- Ways to create and interpret scale drawings
Each lesson in this chapter includes an interactive quiz that will assist students in applying these mathematical concepts. Once these lessons and quizzes are completed, students can contact our expert instructors with any further questions they have.
1. What Are Polygons? - Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to see how the shapes that you grew up with are all related. Learn why the shapes of bricks, stars, and street blocks are considered polygons while the sun, moon, and rolling hills are not.
2. Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples
Watch this video to learn what makes two polygons similar to each other. You'll also learn the one distinguishing aspect of similar polygons and see an example of how to compare two polygons.
3. Constructing Similar Polygons
This lesson will teach you how to construct similar polygons, which are very useful in many quantitative fields. You'll learn that all of this has something to do with, of all things, snowflakes!
4. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
5. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
6. How to Read and Interpret Scale Drawings
Watch this video lesson to learn how scale drawings and legends are used on maps and blueprints. Learn skills that will serve you well when traveling and when looking at the blueprints of a car.
7. Scale Drawing Using Proportional Reasoning
Scale drawings are useful for viewing and analyzing very large or small figures in the world around us. This lesson will explain how to use proportional reasoning to create scale drawings and use those drawings in real-world problem solving.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Prime Factorization
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Square Roots
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Operations with Rational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Math Properties
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Graphing Basics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Linear Equations
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Inequalities
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Slope & Rate of Change
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Lines & Angles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Geometric Constructions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Triangles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Area & Circumference
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Complex Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Populations & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Probability
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Mathematical Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math Flashcards