About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Slope & Rate of Change - Chapter Summary
As your students move through the lessons in this chapter, they'll expand on their knowledge of slope and the different formulas for slope for the ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math test. These topics are also covered in this chapter:
- Rate of change and velocity
- Determining the rate of change of functions
- An explanation of varying and constant rates of change
- Finding the slope of a line
Videos are short, ranging from around 5-10 minutes long, and there are video tags at the bottom of each one. Using these tags lets your students quickly navigate to a certain part in a video, allowing them to revisit a particular topic quickly. Written transcripts can be read through at students' convenience. Online instructors are also on standby so students can get questions answered at any time.
1. What is Slope? - Definition & Formulas
The slope is a measure of the steepness of a line, or a section of a line, connecting two points. In this lesson, you will use several different formulas for slope and learn how those formulas relate to the steepness of a line.
2. Velocity and the Rate of Change
Running from your little sister or just window-shopping, your speed is just a measure of how fast you move, or how your position is changing over time. In this lesson, learn about how velocity is a rate of change.
3. Slopes and Rate of Change
If you throw a ball straight up, there will be a point when it stops moving for an instant before coming back down. Consider this as we study the rate of change of human cannonballs in this lesson.
4. Determine the Rate of Change of a Function
In this lesson, we will learn about the rate of change of a function with specific focus on linear and exponential functions while examining the graphs of both types of functions.
5. Constant & Varying Rates of Change
A rate of change measures how quickly a measured quantity is changing. In this lesson, learn about rates of change and how to tell if a rate of change is constant or varying.
6. How to Find and Apply The Slope of a Line
In this lesson, we'll discover all about the slopes of lines. We'll learn about different types of slopes and how to find the slopes of lines. We'll use two methods: the slope formula and the slope-intercept form.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Prime Factorization
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Square Roots
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Operations with Rational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Math Properties
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Graphing Basics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Linear Equations
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Inequalities
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Lines & Angles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Geometric Constructions
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Triangles
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Similar Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Area & Circumference
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Complex Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Populations & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Probability
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Math: Mathematical Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Math Flashcards