About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: The Middle East Post-WWII - Chapter Summary
Conflicts in the Middle East have existed in a constant state since the end of the second World War. The video lessons in this chapter will help your child prepare for the ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies test, by allowing him or her to review the content already learned in previous classes as the day of the exam gets closer. Topics contained in this chapter include the following:
- An overview of the Middle East
- Anti-Semitism, Zionism and Palestinian Nationalism
- Creation of Israel
- The Arab-Israeli War of 1948
- Timeline of the Six-Day War of 1967
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict from 1973 to 1993
- The Suez Crisis
- History of OPEC
- The 1970s oil embargo
- The Iran hostage crisis
If your child is experiencing any difficulty reviewing the concepts contained in these lessons, they can use the dashboard feature located in each lesson to contact the history experts at Study.com with any questions. Once they are finished, they can take a set of self-assessment quizzes included in the lessons to see if they need to review further before the exam.
1. Overview of the Middle East: 1945-Present
The Middle East has undergone considerable changes since 1945. From 'mandate' territories to areas of great geopolitical interest, few aspects of modern life are untouched by the events of this region.
2. Anti-Semitism, Zionism & Palestinian Nationalism in the Arab-Israeli Conflicts
The modern Arab-Israeli conflicts started with the British Mandate of Palestine, following World War I, but the roots of the struggle are 3,000 years old. This lesson traces the origins of the land of Israel, and both the Muslim and Jewish people.
3. The Creation of Israel in 1948: Timeline & Resulting Conflicts
In this lesson, we explore the movements and political developments that led to the creation of the state of Israel and the subsequent backlash from the Arab world.
4. Israeli Statehood and the Arab-Israeli War of 1948
For centuries, the population of the land known today as Israel barely changed. But in the late 1800s, waves of immigrants poured in, fighting for the right to control the territory. The modern state of Israel was created in 1948.
5. The Six-Day War of 1967: Causes & Timeline
An Egyptian plot in 1967 to destroy Israel backfired when Israel struck first, destroying the forces of Egypt, Jordan, and Syria, and taking possession of new territory. The Six-Day War also cemented Israeli, pan-Arab, and Palestinian nationalism.
6. The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: 1973-1993
After a failed 1973 attempt to reclaim land won by Israel in the Six-Day War, independent groups, such as the PLO, Fatah and Hezbollah, have promoted Palestinian goals. The first Intifada in the West Bank and Gaza was ended by the Oslo Accords.
7. Causes, Timeline & Effects of the Suez Crisis
In 1956, Egyptian President Gamal Nasser seized the Suez Canal from its French and British owners, sparking an invasion by those Western nations and their ally, Israel. The Suez Crisis became a Cold War confrontation and a test of the United Nations.
8. Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC): History & Purpose
Oil is an indispensable and scarce commodity required for energy and modern products. A world without it would look drastically different. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, including its history and purpose.
9. Conflict in the Middle East: OPEC's 1970s Oil Embargo & Its Impact
The 1970s represented a period of economic distress in the United States. Learn about one of the major factors, the 1973 oil embargo by OPEC, and its devastating impact on the American economy in this video lesson.
10. Iran Hostage Crisis: Summary, Timeline & Facts
The Iran Hostage Crisis lasted more than a year and greatly affected U.S. involvement in the Middle East. Learn more about how this important historical event unfolded and how it defined one president's legacy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Social Studies: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Early Human Civilizations
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Ancient Egypt
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Ancient India
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Ancient China
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Understanding Religion
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Buddhism
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Hinduism
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Christianity
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Islam
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Judaism
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: History of Sub-Saharan African Civilizations
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: The Silk Road & Trade Routes
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: History of Islamic Civilization
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: History of Slavery Globally
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: The Mongols
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: China's Dynasties
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Japan's History & Development
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Conquest of the New World & Global Trade
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: European Colonization & Imperialism
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Japanese Imperialism & Role in WWII
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: The Gulf Wars & War on Terror
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Modern International Conflicts & Wars
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Types of Government
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Asian Governments
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Fundamentals of Geography
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Physical & Human Systems in Geography
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 Social Studies: Economics
- ISTEP+ Grade 7 - Social Studies Flashcards