About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Analyzing Fiction - Chapter Summary
Students can use this chapter to make sure they understand how to analyze fiction as they prepare to take the ISTEP+ Grade 8 English Language Arts exam. These video lessons will review:
- The definition of fiction
- Characterization and plot
- Examples of American short stories
- Tone and style in fiction
- Tips for understanding figurative language and drawing inferences
- The origin of themes in fiction
These lessons are supported by expert instructors who are available to answer questions about this aspect of reading comprehension. Interactive quizzes encourage students to absorb and apply the techniques they're reviewing.
1. What Is Fiction? - Definition & Types
In this lesson, we will learn about fiction. We'll take a close look at its definitions and its types and explore the difference between literary and commercial fiction.
2. Characterization: Character Roles & Dialogue in Fiction
In this lesson, we will talk about characters and characterization. We will explore the various types of characters, examine some methods of characterization, and pay special attention to the role of dialogue.
3. Plot in Fiction: Definition, Parts & Subplots
This lesson explores plot in fiction. We will define the term, explore the various parts of a plot (exposition, conflict, rising action, climax, and resolution), and learn about subplots.
4. Plot Techniques in American Fiction: Definition and Examples
A novel's plot involves more than just what happens in the story. Authors employ a number of techniques, including foreshadowing, red herrings, backstory, and B-plots to enrich their stories.
5. Analyzing the American Short Story: Techniques and Examples
Identifying the tone, setting, and mood in a short story can help you analyze that story. In this lesson, we'll think about those literary features in the context of a few well-known American short stories.
6. Interpreting Tone in Fiction
This lesson will explore tone in fiction. We will define tone, talk about various types of tone, discuss how authors communicate tone, and practice identifying the tone of some writing samples.
7. Style in Fiction: Dialect & Figures of Speech
In this lesson, we will explore style in fiction. We will define style and explore some of the elements writers use to create their own personal styles.
8. Interpreting Figurative Language in Fiction
In this lesson, we will discuss how to interpret figurative language in fiction. We will explore several types of figurative language and learn how to identify them.
9. Drawing Inferences in Fiction
In this lesson, we will discuss inferences in fiction. We will talk about what an inference is, learn how to make one and practice drawing inferences with some writing samples.
10. How Fiction Draws on Themes from Other Works
How do classic characters like Cinderella translate for our times? In this lesson, we'll discuss theme in literature, and you'll read about an example of how authors sometimes draw on themes from already existing works to appeal to contemporary audiences.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Literature Types & Genres
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Recognizing Literary Elements
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Organization of Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Poetry
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Point of View in Literature
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Inference & Context in Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Persuasive Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Informational Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Media Literacy
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Vocabulary & the Meaning of Words
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Figures of Speech
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: The Writing Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Writing Effective Compositions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Research Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Using Supporting Evidence
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Citing Sources
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Spelling Rules
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Nouns, Pronouns & Adjectives
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Verbs & Adverbs
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Phrases, Clauses & Modifiers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Sentences
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Grammar Conventions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts Flashcards