About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Descriptive Writing Strategies - Chapter Summary
Understanding the components and structure of descriptive writing will help your student develop effective strategies for composing descriptive essays. The thorough yet engaging lessons featured in this chapter will help the student navigate the elements of descriptive writing that are sure to be on the ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA exam, such as:
- Techniques, characteristics and examples of descriptive essays and writing
- Sensory language and its purpose in this type of writing
- Importance of descriptive detail to add depth and intrigue
As your eighth-grader works through each lesson, encourage him/her to take the brief multiple-choice quizzes at the end of each lesson to ensure they are comprehending the material presented. These quizzes can be taken online or printed out for added convenience. If taken online, the student can use the direct links within the quizzes to go back and review specific concepts for better understanding. If any questions arise, instructors are always available as well.
1. Descriptive Writing: Definition, Techniques & Examples
This lesson will assist you in identifying descriptive writing found in literature and ways you can apply it in your own writing. Learn more about literary style and test your understanding through a quiz.
2. Descriptive Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
A descriptive essay allows you to paint a picture for your reader in words. Watch this video to learn more about the techniques and elements that can help you fill the picture with lots of great details.
3. How to Use Descriptive Details & Sensory Language in Your Writing
When you write a narrative, you can draw your reader into your experiences by adding specific, concrete details to your storytelling. This lesson tells you exactly how to do it.
4. Sensory Language: Definition & Examples
This lesson assists you in identifying and understanding the components of sensory writing found in literature. Learn more about sensory writing and test your understanding with a short quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Literature Types & Genres
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Recognizing Literary Elements
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Organization of Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Poetry
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Point of View in Literature
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Inference & Context in Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Persuasive Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Informational Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Media Literacy
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Vocabulary & the Meaning of Words
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Figures of Speech
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: The Writing Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Writing Effective Compositions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Research Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Using Supporting Evidence
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Citing Sources
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Spelling Rules
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Nouns, Pronouns & Adjectives
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Verbs & Adverbs
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Phrases, Clauses & Modifiers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Sentences
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Grammar Conventions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts Flashcards