About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Expository Writing Strategies - Chapter Summary
Students who refer to the lessons in this chapter will examine components of expository writing for the test. They will also study these topics:
- Definition and types of expository text
- Types and characteristics of expository essays
- Supporting details
- Using examples and evidence to support a piece of writing
The video lessons are interactive, so students will have fun while studying for the exam. In each video, there are video tags located at the bottom. Students who click on these tags instantly move to a specific part in the video. This helps them quickly revisit topics that they need to study more. Lesson transcripts are also available, helping your students review key terms for the test.
1. What is Expository Writing? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will assist you in identifying and understanding the major components of expository writing. Learn more about expository writing and see some common examples. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. What is Expository Text? - Definition, Types & Examples
Expository text exposes you to facts: plain and simple. In this lesson, you will learn how to understand and identify expository text. You will be able to distinguish between expository and narrative text and understand why this distinction is important.
3. Expository Essays: Types, Characteristics & Examples
The facts, just the facts: expository essays are not about giving an opinion or taking a side. In this lesson, we will learn about the different types of expository essays and check out a few examples.
4. Supporting Details: Definition & Examples
Find out what supporting details are and their role in essay writing. Learn the different ways to include supporting details, then take a quiz to test your new skills.
5. Supporting Your Writing with Examples and Evidence
Watch this lesson to learn how to make strong arguments and write better papers by using evidence effectively. It's not just about piling on a bunch of facts!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Literature Types & Genres
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Recognizing Literary Elements
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Organization of Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Poetry
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Point of View in Literature
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Inference & Context in Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Persuasive Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Informational Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Media Literacy
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Vocabulary & the Meaning of Words
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Figures of Speech
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: The Writing Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Writing Effective Compositions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Research Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Using Supporting Evidence
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Citing Sources
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Spelling Rules
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Nouns, Pronouns & Adjectives
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Verbs & Adverbs
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Phrases, Clauses & Modifiers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Sentences
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Grammar Conventions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts Flashcards